Hello, I'm interested in buying the Next mosasaur jaw. The problem is that the Seller has a lot of clearly composites so It makes me suspicious. Do you see red flags? The tooth doesn't look attached (with attached I wanted yo mean added, sorry for posible confusion) to me, but I can't really know, never had a real mosasaur jaw in real life to compare. 

(I Will ask him for more photos) 

IMG-20220502-WA0018.jpg

Edited by Agus T

Cropped, brightened, and rotated:

IMG-20220502-WA0018.jpg.3fe11a8c3dbe47f6c52d714e3bb2f345.jpg

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

22 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Cropped, brightened, and rotated:

IMG-20220502-WA0018.jpg.3fe11a8c3dbe47f6c52d714e3bb2f345.jpg

WoW thank you so much 

Someone with far better knowledge than me will be along shortly but for what it is worth I own one too and I understand your worries! What I have gleened is that often teeth come off the roots and are reattached but belong together so no crime there and to me that looks the case with the last tooth near the end of the jaw. There is also a section that has been filled in I think (the grey area) again no real problem. The thing for me is it could be three different pieces with one fake but I could be wrong. They don't seem to flow correctly for me, the dots where muscle attached (name is long forgotten !) below the gum line just isn't quite right and they are differing colours too. The back view highlights this quite well that the two visible bits of jaw are differing in shade a lot but it also makes me wonder if the bit of jaw at the end where I think there is a reattached tooth might actually be faked. There is a lot of unexplained matrix on the back that is well shaped to hold the end in place if this is the case and the dots seem off there on the front too.

Take all I have said with a pinch of salt until a proper boffin appears, this is just my opinion! You are always right to ask advice on here about fossils though as these things are so heavily faked!

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, mr.cheese said:

Someone with far better knowledge than me will be along shortly but for what it is worth I own one too and I understand your worries! What I have gleened is that often teeth come off the roots and are reattached but belong together so no crime there and to me that looks the case with the last tooth near the end of the jaw. There is also a section that has been filled in I think (the grey area) again no real problem. The thing for me is it could be three different pieces with one fake but I could be wrong. They don't seem to flow correctly for me, the dots where muscle attached (name is long forgotten !) below the gum line just isn't quite right and they are differing colours too. The back view highlights this quite well that the two visible bits of jaw are differing in shade a lot but it also makes me wonder if the bit of jaw at the end where I think there is a reattached tooth might actually be faked. There is a lot of unexplained matrix on the back that is well shaped to hold the end in place if this is the case and the dots seem off there on the front too.

Take all I have said with a pinch of salt until a proper boffin appears, this is just my opinion! You are always right to ask advice on here about fossils though as these things are so heavily faked!

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I was so fixed with the teeth that I didn't Saw that the dots where not in line. I still think that the jaw is pretty cool, if the majority of it is real I think I Will buy it. Could you share an Image of your jaw? I would love to see it.