Is it Real? Spinosaurus Tooth

Seeking input on this "Spinosaurus Tooth" specimen.  Is it a genuine tooth?  Has it had tip repair?  Is the root behind the tooth genuine?  How much touch up / clean up work was done to get it to look this undamaged?  Is it constructed from multiple pieces?  Etc.

Specimen measures exactly 4 inches in length.  Working with an inexpensive Android phone.  I can't get an in focus picture of the end of the root.  I tried many times.  Not enough detail in those pictures.  I can say that it's not just plain rock or fabricated matrix.  It is either a tooth root, or bone-like in appearance.  All input appreciated.

20220508_023801_(1).jpg

Real tooth but have some restoration( tip look odd...painting ??) and part of the root is added 

Guns

1 hour ago, Guns said:

Real tooth but have some restoration( tip look odd...painting ??) and part of the root is added 

Guns

Thank you.  I realize Spinosaurus teeth are famous for fakes, or improvements.  I'd feel somewhat better knowing a real tooth was improved upon, rather than just totally faked outright; but, I'd rather see the complete truth posted with each listing, online.  Good luck, I guess?

A multi-colored banded Spino tooth which always raises red flags.   The dark tip is a concern might have been added difficult to tell.  Acetone with cotton swab, see if its painted.  The root is another question but difficult to call with your photos they are just not sharp enough to make a definitive call.  Try moving back a bit with more light.  Take straight in shots, not at angles of all sides and use something like putty to hold the tooth.

I agree the tip is very suspicious and looks like a bit of repair a bit further down but I would say it is a real tooth that has been repaired. Not the worst one I have seen for sure!

On 5/8/2022 at 7:21 AM, mr.cheese said:

I agree the tip is very suspicious and looks like a bit of repair a bit further down but I would say it is a real tooth that has been repaired. Not the worst one I have seen for sure!

Thank you.  Your assessment, is what I also initially thought about it.  I realized the tip looked as though it hadn't been subjected to tip wear; so either the dinosaur died very shortly after the tooth became exposed, or else the tip had been repaired.  Most likely the latter.  It looked too good, and was very dark at the tip?

The root was also questionable, at least in part.  I believed that there was at least a genuine tooth present; and if the tooth had been modified to improve its appearance, at least the person who did the work did his work "tastefully".  I guess unless I was present when it came out of the ground, I'll never know for sure?

I am accustomed to seeing wide variations in the shape, size, coloration, and overall appearance of fossil shark teeth.  I am also aware that a great many dinosaur skeleton examples on display, are work ups from only a handful of actual fossil bones which were found.  I am not criticizing this at all, I am just using it as a prism through which to view the stuff I see for sale.

I was looking for a fairly large Spinosaurus tooth, with a good tip.  I knew I was trying to check a lot of boxes at once.  I guess I'd rather have an attractive tooth that had been dressed up, than to have a very poor looking example that had not been dressed up?  It's a question we all must ask ourselves; which is more important, "100% originality, or overall appearance?".

I promise I have no agenda, or desire to argue for anything.  I just hope it came out of the ground, as a real spinosaurus tooth.  I can live with some dressing up, I guess.  I just want to display it.  Thanks for any and all input offered.

@Rock Hound I have seen a number of Spinosaurus teeth, one recently had a similar tip, it just didn't look right so I concluded it was restored but done very smoothly. I could be wrong of course!
These dinosaurs shed teeth, much like a shark does - only done quite differently! This is why there is an abundance of fossilised teeth

As mentioned above, clearer pics are definitely needed but I am suspicious about certain areas I've marked, some areas I'm less suspicious than others

20220508_023631_(1).thumb.jpg.d5acb6c3149154da602e81d3ff4bc386.jpg

I'm not going to do it; but I bet a solid drop on a hard surface, would tell the truth?  That would be a bad way to find out.

I am convinced that it is a real Spinosaurus tooth; with possible tip repair, and possible fabrication / exaggeration / dressing up of the root area.

Edited by Rock Hound

After rereading my post, I wasn't very clear about something!
The section straight under the dark tip I believe is all real Spinosaur tooth

Hello, 

Yes tip and root has been altered , this is very common with Spino tooth. After a while you learn this, and know what is good and what is not.

This is is partly real but not a fine example of a good tooth, but thats okey, luckily they are pretty common, and surely it will not be your last one :dinothumb:

I'll restate that your photos are not adequate to make a proper determination of repairs.  The different colors simply might be enamel flaking off the crown.  Suggest better lit, sharper photos of all sides and straight in shots not at obtuse angles