Are these real? Hadrosaur and Oviraptor Eggs

DesertJerboa

Hi,

Newbie here. Wondering if these items are real.

The pair are billed as oviraptor eggs. The other is billed as a hadrosaur egg. 

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts!

Best,

Z!

oviraptor s-l1600 (3).jpg

oviraptor s-l1600 (4).jpg

oviraptor s-l1600 (5).jpg

oviraptor s-l1600 (6).jpg

76CAB120-AA7B-4BA8-8826-CA41C5D483D1.jpeg

DC9965F4-ACE8-4EF9-8730-3FBC4CF2CEA2.jpeg

78345F7D-5239-46B7-98C4-5F7C7FDA14C9.jpeg

F0006A5F-F85B-4D62-B3D5-4501686D2037.jpeg

56B58994-5CAE-4ECE-98B2-20A5CA1DB292.jpeg

Do you have a locality where these were found and size?  BTW eggs are described to an oogenus and not specific dinosaur.

Edit:

I may be seeing a few air bubbles in the lower egg,  hard to see.   Can you provide HD closeup of all the eggshells, to see if they are replicas

Thanks! 

The seller says both the hadrosaur egg and the oviraptor eggs were found in Taiwan years ago.

Diameter of the hadrosaur egg is 4.7inches and weight is 1kg. 

Size of the oviraptor eggs is 5.9inches and weight is 3kg. 

The images I uploaded are the only ones I have at present, unfortunately.

Seller also unfortunately hasn’t provided more info about which specific species of dinosaur they relate to. 

Best,

Ziad 

They are probably not actually from Taiwan. The fossiliferous rocks in Taiwan are geologically young, from the Cenozoic era. I believe any older rocks that can be found are metamorphic rocks. 

iuHvWbkN-JLqXjBwo-NNaUOgrFa62OR2xdOAlonD8gBx4QXTPFQP9q8XBC3Ep3OdMM1imwtThN9jJtcqWRzcLQWpoLvIjj1EQ395wP72N0J3iYH-Pb0vLmbsTfeNcc2juMWtGJ5D9isn9O9o8Q

Agree it unlikely they are from Taiwan other than being the seller initially being located there.  Matrix looks Chinese.

The long eggs are are Elongatoolithus type eggs and there is a good chance both eggs were placed on that matrix and NOT from the same clutch.. Eggs of this shape have been attributed to Oviraptorids but the shape is not unique to that group and may belong to a different group.  Without a provenance hard to say.

The other egg, not sure might be a Spheroolithus or Dendroolithus but too small to be what you are referring to has Hadrosaurid. The eggs appear real but without hand examination or HD photos its hard to be sure they are not replicas.

• I found this Informative 1

The eggs are definitely not from Taiwan.  They are likely from Ganzhou, Jiangxi Province of China.  

Thanks very much for your feedback guys! 

Appreciate you all sharing your insights. 

I thought it was prohibited to export fossils from China. Does this mean you think the eggs are likely fakes, or pieces of fossil eggshells fixed into a cement matrix or similar? Or do you think that more likely than not they are real? 

I appreciate the pictures are not sufficient to give a definitive answer, so it would be an "on the balance of probabilities" view.

Best, 

Ziad

3 hours ago, DesertJerboa said:

or pieces of fossil eggshells fixed into a cement matrix or similar?

Not likely. They look "good", overall.

But they could be casts. But not very likely in my eyes. They are a little bit too imperfect.

Or real eggs placed on matrix.

Or real eggs on real matrix.

Franz Bernhard

Chinese eggs have been available on the commercial market for quite a while so they may have been exported from China well before the ban but we dont know.

On the surface the eggs appear real the only open questions in my mind are were they placed on the matrix  and are the two long ones associated.   Can they be replicas yes, low probability but you cannot rule that out and additional closeup photos may rule that out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 1:38 PM, DesertJerboa said:

I thought it was prohibited to export fossils from China.

There's a bit of a loophole with that where export of fossils to Taiwan is allowed (because China classes Taiwan as part of China--blocking export to Taiwan would be admitting it is seperate) and Taiwan doesn't have any export restrictions on fossils. So, if the seller is based in Taiwan, then it's likely acquired that way. And if seller is based in Taiwan, then there won't be any issues in sending them abroad because Taiwan doens't have restrictions.

Edited by FF7_Yuffie
  • I found this Informative 3