T-rex vs Nano: Anterior dentary teeth

carch_23

Hi all,

Been trying to look for possible readings/ images of anterior dentary teeth of trex vs nano. Not sure if im finding it in the right place, but was wondering what a nano anterior dentary tooth would look like? As I dont think I have seen a nano anterior dentary tooth for sale, mostly rex for some reason. As i think those teeth look almost similar to a premax, though from what i remember, it would be highly unlikely to distinguish between a nano and rex premax unless the roots were still attached. 

Would you guys maybe know if there are any morpholoical differences between an anterior dentary of a rex and nano?  

If anyone also has some personal specimens they'd like to share, please do feel free to show off if you'd like. 

Thanks!

You can compare dentaries with these images.

Nano's jaws have rectangular'ish alveoli while other Tyrannosaurids including those of T rex are more oval in anterior locations

Premaxillary teeth are D shaped and all smaller ones are indistinguishable from one another as to species

rexlancensisteeth.png.753d034346b49d499dbe2179b1dcfa92.png

Juvie Trex and a Juvie Nano

DYWFxYVVoAA9TXY.jpeg.739fba28a9747672fa562902875a134e.jpeg

Hi Frank, thanks so much for those images. Really insightful. Just to clarify, would that mean that nano anterior dentary teeth would still have the more rectangular shaped base, as opposed to an anterior dentary of a rex, which would still have the oval/ shape, no matter the jaw location of the tooth (except for  premax teeth)?

I also looked at your other Jurassic Park threads from a few years back and found that you decided to change a tooth to indeterminate due to the base shape also. Was also curious, if i may ask, to what degree would you decide to label a tooth indeterminate between the two? 

Yes for example D1 of a Trex is an incisorform, that morphology does not exist on the dentary of a Nanotyrannus.  I don't recall the why with your last comment but you may not be able to differentiate isolated teeth between these species especially when it comes to Trex maxillary and posterior dentary teeth.   They are all Tyrannosaurids and the difference may be subtle and indeterminate.  

• I found this Informative 1

Bummer. For some reason I cannot find the thread anymore with the tooth. Hope I could find it again lol. 

But thank you so much Frank for taking the time to answer.