Trilobite repair pre or post prep.

Vaxix

The image I attached is a Drotops armatus specimen I just acquired. I recently started collecting trilobites again and eventually would like to get into prepping. The Drotops has all of its spines on that side of it's shell broken off into the still negative of the matrix. Fragments of the body of the shell and part of the head. What would be the best way to repair it to prepare for prep. I don't plan on working on this for a while, until I get more practice in. 

Screenshot_20220511-144302.png

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION.  ;)

Usually, these are glued back together, then prepped out of the enclosing matrix.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

17 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION.  ;)

Usually, these are glued back together, then prepped out of the enclosing matrix.

This is what I would do. Put some cyanoacrylate glue on the bits of shell on the negative as well as on the surrounding matrix. Try not to get glue on the part where the shell came away cleanly on the opposing positive side. Then, fit them snugly together and clamp them for a day. You'll be good to go when you prep it.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Just to add to Kris' great advice...

You are going to want to ensure both surfaces are absolutely clean before gluing together with a thin cyanoacrylate (use a soft brush to remove every little mote of dust prior to application as you want to have a very tight fit). I would recommend also wicking some glue along the crack. Optionally, if there is a lot of matrix to remove to get to the trilobite, you might consider scribing some of the excess down prior to the clamping. 

Also, very important: make markings on the rock to orient yourself so you know exactly where the trilobite is and its positioning; that will save you time and reduce errors.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you. When I build of some experience and courage, I will post updates on the process.