4951_crop.jpg

IMG_4957_19.jpg

IMG_5128_19.jpg

image.png

IMG_5584_19.jpg

Edited by opalbug
fix typo
  • Enjoyed 12

Cool finds! Thanks for showing them to us! :) 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice. I'll be spending a few days playing along the Oregon coast and might have to look for something other than sunsets :look:

• Thank You 1

Nice finds... Looks like some might retain their 'wings' and just need a little prepping to expose them?  Is that one totally coated in matrix, or is it a steinkern (missing the shell entirely)?

Just an editorial note: it's Pecten - pectin is the stuff that makes jam congeal.

• Thank You 1

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Pectens in Oregon

Lucky! Last time I was out there I found a few, but they were all in huge boulders that it would've been impossible to break them off of! These look great! 

• Thank You 1

On 5/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Wrangellian said:

Nice finds... Looks like some might retain their 'wings' and just need a little prepping to expose them?  Is that one totally coated in matrix, or is it a steinkern (missing the shell entirely)?

Just an editorial note: it's Pecten - pectin is the stuff that makes jam congeal.

The grey one in the upper left is still embedded in the matrix.  I can barely see a tiny trace of shell on the edge of the concretion. 

It seems to be one of those high silica concretions that produce silicified fossils.  It might be hard to prep.

The wedge shaped piece has a couple of Calyptraea fossils attached to it.  Too bad they get so beat up from tumbling in the surf with basalt cobbles.

Here's a couple of other photos of it.

IMG_7896_20.jpg

IMG_7902_20.jpg

Here's a better example of the Calyptraea

Mollusk22.jpg

Another Pecten in a huge concretion from the Yaquina Formation thats exposed a few miles to the South.

I wonder what else is hiding in that rock.

IMG_5825_pectin.jpg

Edited by opalbug
  • I found this Informative 1

Someone should have a go at prepping one of those coated ones... that is if there are no already-exposed complete ones to be found. I don't have the means so it won't be me, though.

It must be doable...

• Thank You 1