Big Brook NJ Huge Lobster Claw or ???

Fishinfossil

Sifting Big Brook today and this came up from a deep dig. It has the look of a Lobster claw or Shrimp claw, which are usually only half inch in length or so. This specimen is roughly 3 inches long and about 1-3/4 in diameter at thickest and 1-inch at thinnest point. Its actually pretty heavy. There's noticeable ridges on each side near the edge and looks like little nubs almost like on lobster claws. Cretaceous era fossils normally in the stream. What could it be?

thumbnail_IMG_2320.thumb.jpg.f17550bc9fce2cf94745455e70f74e40.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2321.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2322.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_23242.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2323.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

This looks very much like a bivalve of some sort, to me.

@Jeffrey P  @frankh8147  @Carl

• I Agree 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Broken shell fragment was my first impression as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yes ! I think it is the base part of a pinna.
This photo can be used to make a comparison.

208.jpg.31a6aa38d8cf4ee69e4acd97449ec4ff.jpg

• I Agree 1

I'm seeing that as a razor clam in a concretion. I'll have to look that up. I've only seen a handful of those from the Wenonah Formation. It is a super rare find. Congratulations. 

Thanks for the insights. It does look like the tip of a Pinna shell, but that razor clam is intriguing. @Jeffrey P Do you have an example of a razor clam?

I don't have any specimens of razor clams from New Jersey's Cretaceous. As I said, they're quite rare. frankh8147 has collected at least one. All of the specimens I've seen are in the MAPS collection. I could forward photos of yours to them and get their ID feedback. Also, your specimen looks like it would benefit from preparation by a professional. You might consider donating it to MAPS because of its condition and rarity. 

@Jeffrey P If it truly is a razor clam and is considered rare, I would definitely donate to MAPS. If you can dig up any info on it, please feel free to share images with anyone who may have some more insight. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Fishinfossil said:

@Jeffrey P If it truly is a razor clam and is considered rare, I would definitely donate to MAPS. If you can dig up any info on it, please feel free to share images with anyone who may have some more insight. Thanks!

Besides being extremely rare, the condition of the specimen is impressive. It looks like it's very fresh out of the matrix and there's little or no stream damage which could possibly make it one of the best specimens of this type ever collected. By the way, the absence of any vertical ribbing makes me doubt it's a pinna, but if I'm wrong it would still be a very rare specimen. I already messaged Frank on this.