Top Trilo

I watched the Dinosaur Apocalypse videos on PBS narrated by David Attenborough, link to TFF thread posted here,

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/123230-tv-tonight/&tab=comments#comment-1345385

I will let others debate the specifics in the other thread, I don't have the experience to criticize/celebrate any of it.

Something I noticed in the second video, The Last Day, was this map of the United States depicting the Western Interior Seaway at 17:44 in the video.

image.png.4defd67ab1a947674cfe84bb88fb4872.png

Here are a few cities in the area I plotted.

image.png.e67c64c004736ec6996a4be4cfb26b24.png

Everything else I had heard and all the other maps I've seen have shown the Western Interior Seaway much farther east than this map, east of the Rocky Mountains, running north to south through the great plains. Is there something I missed? It seems like a fairly large error seeing as the Western Interior Seaway played an important part in the videos.

I'd appreciate any and all help, thank you.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The map that you posted is a snapshot of what the Western Interior Seaway (WIS) may have looked like at a specific time. The maximum extent of the WIS over time is much larger and can be estimated by the marine Cretaceous rocks in the area.

See:

https://www.cretaceousatlas.org/geology/

WIS.JPG

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The map that you posted is a snapshot of what the Western Interior Seaway (WIS) may have looked like at a specific time. The maximum extent of the WIS over time is much larger and can be estimated by the marine Cretaceous rocks in the area.

See:

https://www.cretaceousatlas.org/geology/

I know the WIS existed for a long time and changed over that period but I have never seen it entirely west of where the Colorado Rocky Mountains are now, as the image above depicts.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

I don’t know if this will help or not but nebraska was under water the ENTIRE time of the dinosaurs so at the time shown on the program this picture is pretty inaccurate…..

• Thank You 1

I saw that show too and noticed the map, but I did not assume it was supposed to be accurate, as they often are not in TV shows - just meant to give you an idea of what it might have looked like from space.

How did you know where to plot the cities, are you looking at the vague landforms visible on either side, and are they about where they are in the present day? (Kind of looks like the Rockies and the Basin and Range region there, I guess)

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I saw that show too and noticed the map, but I did not assume it was supposed to be accurate, as they often are not in TV shows - just meant to give you an idea of what it might have looked like from space.

How did you know where to plot the cities, are you looking at the vague landforms visible on either side, and are they about where they are in the present day? (Kind of looks like the Rockies and the Basin and Range region there, I guess)

I did the opposite and assumed it was supposed to be accurate since it was documenting the Tanis site, the fossils found their, and the hypothesis about what happened when the meteor struck from the evidence. Its not Jurassic Park which is made to be an action heavy entertaining movie. When you compare the map to satellite images it becomes rather obvious that the map is of America now, not what it looked like in the Cretaceous at all, just with some water overlaid to show the coastline which isn't accurate.

Here's a google earth photo of the same area, you can see the same mountains and landforms and even the same rivers and forested area.

image.thumb.png.5d5e36ceff85977afce5c6802d2d57de.png

Interesting catch on their use of modern aerial view to reconstruct a very different topography on the last day of the Cretaceous.  But, good job to you; you placed Casper in the right place.  I can see myself waving to the satellite. 

• Enjoyed 2

Yes, it does look like they used that modern view of the Earth and laid down some water on it. If they were trying to show an accurate map I think it would look closer to the other reconstructions of the WIS that have been posted above, but as it is I stand by my "rough impression for TV audiences" theory!

Edited by Wrangellian

It would have been just as easy to put it in the correct place as putting it in the wrong place though. :shakehead:

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

It would have been just as easy to put it in the correct place as putting it in the wrong place though. :shakehead:

Maybe not easy enough for them... As I said, I've come to not expect accurate maps in TV shows (even Nova or Nature) unless it's of critical importance to the story, as they know 99.9% of the audience won't know the difference.

I share your frustration, though.