Theropod tooth from the Judith river formation

Georgemckenzie

Hiya everyone I purchased this small theropod tooth seller said it’s from the Judith river formation but doesn’t know the species is size is 7mm long thanks 

4F8302C9-02E1-4CA8-BEF1-F2A5163F7689.jpeg

69C47465-5300-4A51-8874-F212EB6E395A.jpeg

54403CF8-F5A0-4C14-9C79-B28615821362.jpeg

F1AF3BA3-F3E8-44F2-B1BA-F43CB4256002.jpeg

Do you have a location where this was found?  Need state and county or town

Can you do a serration count on both carinae mid way 2 mm wide.  On the surface looks like a juvie Tyrannosaurid tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Do you have a location where this was found?  Need state and county or town

Can you do a serration count on both carinae mid way 2 mm wide.  On the surface looks like a juvie Tyrannosaurid tooth.

Hiya thanks for the reply just did a little read of the description it’s from hill county, Montana 

6 minutes ago, Georgemckenzie said:

Hiya thanks for the reply just did a little read of the description it’s from hill county, Montana 

Thats JRF thanks

15 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thats JRF thanks

Thanks troodon not to familiar with North American teeth, this is my first one.

46 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thats JRF thanks

Would it help if I counted all the serrations? 

No, thats actually has little value.  You are trying to understand what the difference is, if any, between the density of the two carina in a specific area in the crown.  Midline is the standard area that paleontologists use for measurements and its a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

No, thats actually has little value.  You are trying to understand what the difference is, if any, between the density of the two carina in a specific area in the crown.  Midline is the standard area that paleontologists use for measurements and its a lot easier.

Thanks sorry for the confusion so the best idea is to count the serrations on both sides in the midline about 2mm only problem I have is there is a little nick out the middle of the tooth u can see it in the last photo 

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I saw that just do it above the nick. 

Okay cheers not at home at the minute but once I’m home I will count from above the nick 2mm on each side 

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I saw that just do it above the nick. 

Hiya troodon this is the best I could get with my phone camera unfortunately best Camera or magnifier I have I hope this helps I could 8 serrations on the side with the chips and between 7-8 on the other side the serrations are quite faint hope this helps  measured them roughly 2mm each side 

8605E85A-33BA-42B1-9890-92D236CA3713.jpeg

BC689CA3-6DE0-4536-A91B-E3FDF62BFD91.jpeg

Thank you.  Its a juvenile indeterminate Tyrannosaurid tooth and similar serration densityvis one ofctheir characteristics

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Thank you.  Its a juvenile indeterminate Tyrannosaurid tooth and similar serration densityvis one ofctheir characteristics

Thanks troodon would there be any way to identify the exact species? And what would be the best to label it as, maybe juvenile indeterminate tyrannosaurid species? 

I'm pretty sure that's what the label is, but Troodon can confirm. I believe the two suspects in that area are Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus. Some think Albertosaurus was there, but I don't believe there's confirmation of that.

Cool tooth! I think that nick might be natural wear if it's smooth. My over-active imagination (and inexperience) pictures it having had it fair share of holding feisty prey. Or...they're just nicks...lol

Edited by Dino Dad 81

You can label it how you see fit but juvenile indet Tyrannosaurid is just fine.   Even if we knew which Tyrannosaurids were present my guess is that you would not be able to identify it to a specific one given its small size.  

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

You can label it how you see fit but juvenile indet Tyrannosaurid is just fine.   Even if we knew which Tyrannosaurids were present my guess is that you would not be able to identify it to a specific one given its small size.  

Thanks for all the help troodon a real expert :thumbsu: