Fossil celery?

Dave Bailey

Well, probably not, but it looks like it. And forget the 'Point Pelee' tag, that's only where the rock was, definitely not the original location. After a lot of severe storms and erosion at the tip of the point, the shoreline has been buttressed with large limestone blocks from elswhere. In one of them we saw this protruding fossil, And took the normal crappy cel phone picture, which has been cropped and sharpened. 

Pelee fossil crop.jpg

2 hours ago, Kane said:

My internet service is wanting, but no Stylolite I can find looks like this.  Do you have an example that is circular like this, and not linear?  Sincere curiosity.  Just asking.

From Termwiki

thumb1.php?f=styolite.jpg&width=245&height=160&nocache=1

From Louisville Fossils

A Pseudofossil Called Stylolite

I have been reading a well written book from Germany called Fossil Collector's Handbook: Finding, Identifying, Preparing, Displaying by Gerhard Lichter. Published in English in 1993 by Sterling Publishing Company. The German title is Fossilien bergen, präparieren, ausstellen: Geräte und Techniken published in 1986.

On page 11, there is a picture of a pseudofossil called Stylolite. The author describes it as "the woodlike limestone formation is most likely a diagenetic sediment deposit that developed during rock formation or a water-worn rock."

I remember finding my first piece of rock like the one pictured in the book and thinking I had found some sort of petrified wood. Later, someone told me it was just a pseudofossil. DARN! I still pick up pieces today maybe because like the structure of its parallel lines. Or maybe the hope it is some sort of petrified wood.

The following are pictures of two specimens that I found east of Louisville, Kentucky. They were found at an Ordovician Period road cut.

stylolite.jpg
another-stylolite.jpgstylolite-on-side.jpg
another-stylolite2.jpg
  • I found this Informative 1

19 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

My internet service is wanting, but no Stylolite I can find looks like this.  Do you have an example that is circular like this, and not linear?  Sincere curiosity.  Just asking.

I have encountered similar examples in the field, but that is where I leave them. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Lots of stylolites in your particular rock, @Dave Bailey. Your rock is full with such lines. One of the larger "cores" weathered out nicely, making a good faker.

Franz Bernhard

9 hours ago, westcoast said:

I don't think that is a stylolite....

Please tell us why you think so and what it might be if not.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Please tell us why you think so and what it might be if not.

I have to reconsider, i assumed it was in its original orientation, ie horizontal, so stylolite didnt fit, however if it was actually vertical then stylolite is most likely.