GW shark tooth

Hello everyone!! I have this Victorian gw tooth and I can't find out if it's fossil or modern, I think it's fossil, but others think it's an aged modern gw, how can I know for sure??

Thanks and kind regards

Manuel

IMG20220509183806.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-07-06-28-13-70.jpg

I think it's a fossil tooth. The irregular yellowish coloring would be very unusual for modern shark teeth. But of course it is always difficult to judge from a photo alone. 

A modern tooth should be relatively light. You could probably see it by the root, but unfortunately that is covered by the pendant, so I can't say for sure.

Best regards from Germany

Edited by Dino9876

My collection of Uncommon extant shark teeth - Here

My collection of interesting rare shark jaws - Here

Pretty sure it’s modern. It doesn’t have any desiccation cracks that are common on fossil teeth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Going by the coloring and the look I agree with very old modern tooth. Which would fit in with the victorian manufacturing.it probably started out white. Beautiful piece!

Thanks to all, it is something very difficult to find out, the weight looks more like a fossil, I have a tiger shark tooth of the same size and it weighs half, maybe it is because of the metal,... but it is also true that it looks modern, it is all a mystery.

Thanks my friends !!

Manuel