Bone Valley Find

Nimravis

I’m currently at a pay site, collecting Bone Valley fossils. An individual next to me found this bone fragment, can someone identify what it is? It looks familiar, but what it is is not coming to mind right now.

@Shellseeker

4A9C5B43-7BC5-4303-88EA-E90F62713851.thumb.jpeg.f970be4ceeeb4b7742e2d5d4ce0defc6.jpeg

628F4306-BDCE-49FA-B508-8013EB1B8491.thumb.jpeg.a53eb0864b3baf27372becf5c429f832.jpeg

Edited by Nimravis

Tip of an antler.  If it's FL, then it's a White Tail or sub thereof.  Probably broke off in a fight?

Edited by HuckMucus

40 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

Tip of an antler.  If it's FL, then it's a White Tail or sub thereof.  Probably broke off in a fight?

I am not getting a deer feel on this, I was thinking something fishy, plus this material was just dug out of the ground today, it is not recent.

9 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I am not getting a deer feel on this, I was thinking something fishy, plus this material was just dug out of the ground today, it is not recent.

The photos could be decieving me but that is not only an antler tip, but it is what we call "a brown."  Meaning it is new.  I stand to be corrected if others know more or better.

Edited by HuckMucus

17 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

More photos might help, Ralph.  Try to get a good image of the broken area.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

12 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

The photos could be decieving me but that is not only an antler tip, but it is what we call "a brown."  Meaning it is new.  I stand to be corrected if others know more or better.

Thanks for the info on that, I will pass it on, here are more pics.

D804FE19-72C9-45E4-8469-4B31FFED100E.thumb.jpeg.53faaa92efa0da39988d92a3527c2287.jpegCE3ECF40-AB58-490C-B475-F72FA26F82B6.thumb.jpeg.0ed6278f1008c4ce127a637374823f53.jpeg4AA5C36F-A12F-4AC1-9694-7AB00C60207C.thumb.jpeg.b208562cb64655e1e240ec444b1c9c95.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

More photos might help, Ralph.  Try to get a good image of the broken area.

Just posted some.

• Thank You 1

I'm getting a fish tooth feel off of it myself. But not sure what kind. I almost said enchodus but it doesn't look quite right for that either... And the size is off for that...

Edited by Randyw

It is a Rostral tooth from a Sawfish.  Numerous finds from the river bottom of the Peace River. @Nimravis

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

29 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

It is a Rostral tooth from a Sawfish.  Numerous finds from the river bottom of the Peace River. @Nimravis

Good call.  I've got tons of antler tips that I make pegs out of and they look just like that, except the distinction between the outer and inner layers of the antler tips are not as distinct as those Rostal teeth.  I was fooled again and stand corrected.

Edited by HuckMucus
clarity

14 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

Good call.  I've got tons of antler tips that I make pegs out of and they look just like that, except the distinction between the outer and inner layers of the antler tips are not as distinct as those Rostal teeth.  I was fooled again and stand corrected.

It is hardly ever easy.  In this case I see more Rostral teeth than deer tines, so it becomes a more natural identification for me. Many people think of Rostral teeth as curved fish hooks, but I never see/find that type..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

37 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Sorry, but the specimen posted above is definitely not a sawfish rostral tooth.  Pristis rostral teeth have a groove on one side.  Both Pristis and Anoxypristis rostral teeth are not hollow like that specimen appears in the below picture.  Also, the cross-section is wrong for a sawfish rostral tooth.  Lastly, the texture is wrong for a sawfish rostral tooth.

D804FE19-72C9-45E4-8469-4B31FFED100E.thumb.jpeg.53faaa92efa0da39988d92a3527c2287.jpeg

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

40 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

Sorry, but the specimen posted above is definitely not a sawfish rostral tooth.  Pristis rostral teeth have a groove on one side.  Both Pristis and Anoxypristis rostral teeth are not hollow like that specimen appears in the below picture.  Also, the cross-section is wrong for a sawfish rostral tooth.  Lastly, the texture is wrong for a sawfish rostral tooth.

Thank you..

Like my compatriot @HuckMucus above

1 hour ago, HuckMucus said:

I was fooled again and stand corrected.

I kinda imagined the groove on one side...

My wife is the individual who found this, it’s definitely a fossil, not at all recent, and I’d be happy to share more pictures if needed!

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Marco Sr.

I can't find a pic of a cross section of a Rostral tooth but from the link above, they do hint at flatter and less round than the subject.  If it's not Rostral, I'll dive back in the fray and reassert my initial assessment of deer antler tip.  If the man's wife found it and he says it's fossilized, I guess I'd ask for a burn test.  I doubt additional photos would help me, but I'm no expert.  It's a spitting image of an antler tip.  

1 hour ago, HuckMucus said:

I can't find a pic of a cross section of a Rostral tooth but from the link above, they do hint at flatter and less round than the subject.  If it's not Rostral, I'll dive back in the fray and reassert my initial assessment of deer antler tip.  If the man's wife found it and he says it's fossilized, I guess I'd ask for a burn test.  I doubt additional photos would help me, but I'm no expert.  It's a spitting image of an antler tip.  

Burn test resulted in no burn, so definitely fossilized.

3 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Burn test resulted in no burn, so definitely fossilized.

The last picture of the broken end had lots of little distracting pieces of sand on the break face and your (?) hand.  Could you wash it clean and dry and take a good close up perpendicular shot to the break?  I'm curious about the interior.  Thanks for doing the burn test.  I know when I use a Dremel tool on mine, they stink.  The only other suggestion I have is to take it to a biologist or paleontologist.  Maybe a local museum?  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

The last picture of the broken end had lots of little distracting pieces of sand on the break face and your (?) hand.  Could you wash it clean and dry and take a good close up perpendicular shot to the break?  I'm curious about the interior.  Thanks for doing the burn test.  I know when I use a Dremel tool on mine, they stink.  The only other suggestion I have is to take it to a biologist or paleontologist.  Maybe a local museum?  Good luck.

Wasn’t entirely sure what you meant by perpendicular to the break in this case - but hopefully these pics suffice!

57E17DA2-FAC6-4949-B4FC-0A2055536193.jpeg

5BABB2CA-7B82-4681-8B2C-847273244BA6.jpeg

E8BAD205-4C74-4378-80F6-ADDD97CE8663.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

Wasn’t entirely sure what you meant by perpendicular to the break in this case - but hopefully these pics suffice.

57E17DA2-FAC6-4949-B4FC-0A2055536193.jpeg

5BABB2CA-7B82-4681-8B2C-847273244BA6.jpeg

E8BAD205-4C74-4378-80F6-ADDD97CE8663.jpeg

The last photo is what I was looking for.  But it blurs out when I enlarge it.  Could be on my end.  Anyway, thanks.  I'd take it to a pro.

13 minutes ago, HuckMucus said:

The last photo is what I was looking for.  But it blurs out when I enlarge it.  Could be on my end.  Anyway, thanks.  I'd take it to a pro.

I appreciate it regardless! Guess we’ll have to get it checked then!

I am puzzled by this piece.  I am accustomed to white tail deer antler tines being cone shaped.  There are horned ruminants in the miocene phosphates, but I am not familiar enough with them to make a guess.

• I Agree 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

I am puzzled by this piece.  I am accustomed to white tail deer antler tines being cone shaped.  There are horned ruminants in the miocene phosphates, but I am not familiar enough with them to make a guess.

I don't know about White Tail because I'm from the Rocky Mountains, but Mule Deer antler tips run the gamut from conical to flat to triangular, straight, curved, sharp, blunt and what have you.  Brow tines are even wilder.  If they are on the surface, they turn pretty white in a year, especially in the sun.  They also rot faster than bone underground.  The squeekies also chew them up if they are in the area.  The instant object looks like this spring's shed.  But again, I stand to be corrected.  If it's a fossil, then it would not be that color, I don't think.  Grey on the inside and, well, antler on the outside. 

I'm in agreement with the colors as far as fossil or recent surface find.  These are from Texas but I would think its the same. Top fossil bottom recent.  I just have to know what are squeekies?

IMG_20220514_224905760.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

I'm in agreement with the colors as far as fossil or recent surface find.  These are from Texas but I would think its the same. Top fossil bottom recent.  I just have to know what are squeekies?

IMG_20220514_224905760.jpg

That fossil is what a recent (in the brown) antler looks like.  The other is what we call "white" (old).  Squeekies are rodents that eat antlers (quill pigs, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.).  I'll take some pics tomorrow and try to replicate the subject above.  Probably won't be able to tell the difference.

• I found this Informative 1

Color is the weakest basis for saying much about a bone.  The color of the find fits the range of colors of things from the Central Florida phosphate.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest