Turtle Prep

Ptychodus04

This is the back right section of the carapace and the rear leg. Pretty disarticulated but well preserved.

A718F30B-FECB-4148-B299-7EEC7C2DC64B.thumb.jpeg.d96d43b66a21518acf582d6b88f7278f.jpeg

I’m hoping to get the right side block (now 2 blocks) completed this week. I have a couple of clients that have been waiting patiently for about a month for me to get started on their stuff. :duh2:

• Enjoyed 6

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have a couple of clients that have been waiting patiently

I am enjoying the prep series. It shows those  "waiting patiently" that they have their fossil in an experts possession. Well worth any wait!!

Mike

19 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I am enjoying the prep series. It shows those  "waiting patiently" that they have their fossil in an experts possession. Well worth any wait!!

Mike

At least I have an excuse and it's not pure laziness this time. :P

Well, I managed to break my SWAM Blaster. :default_faint: I’ve been riding it like a rented mile for a month and it is starting to have some issues. After talking with the manufacturer, I have the needed replacement parts on the way. Apparently, the unit I have doesn’t like to push massive amounts of abrasive and the endless hours I’m putting into this prep is taking its toll. I have to swap out most of the tubing for a thicker walled variety and replace one of the fittings with a larger orifice fitting in order to keep from burning it out (if I haven’t already). :duh2: 

Once I’m don’t with this prep, I can convert it back to the delicate piece of equipment that it wants to be for working on smaller preps.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Sounds like it's time for some popcorn.....

Or a horse tranquilizer. My dog didn’t know what to do yesterday evening with me in the house instead of out in the lab. :default_rofl:

31 minutes ago, RJB said:

HURRY!!!

RB

It’s always something isn’t it? :duh2:

• I Agree 1

OMG, youre already burning through the hoses?  you have been riding that thing hard. I guess now your blaster has a nickname.... "Mule". LOL

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

3 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

OMG, youre already burning through the hoses?  you have been riding that thing hard. I guess now your blaster has a nickname.... "Mule". LOL

Yep. Crystal Mark is sending me some super thick walled tubing that they use in their heavy duty machines. Thankfully, it is only a couple sections with beefed up fittings that I can swap back out for more normal applications later. 

Mule is a good nickname. It’s definitely fitting for how I’m using it. Maybe redheaded stepchild mule is more accurate. :default_rofl:

• Enjoyed 1

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

It’s always something isn’t it? :duh2:

It's just me givin you the business.  I for one am never in a hurry anymore.   I do like seeing the progress on this project though.

RB

18 minutes ago, RJB said:

It's just me givin you the business.  I for one am never in a hurry anymore.   I do like seeing the progress on this project though.

RB

I’ve known you long enough to expect some good natured harassment coming my way. :P

I’d be concerned if you weren’t giving me the business.

• 4 weeks later...

Fabulous prepping!  Love seeing your updates.  Looks like the carapace and plastron separated  a bit before fossilization.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 9/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, RJB said:

Amazing how much time and effort can be put into a slab of rock.  Dang nice rock though.

RB

I’m a little over 200 hours right now with approximately 100 or so to go.

On 9/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, hadrosauridae said:

Fabulous prepping!  Love seeing your updates.  Looks like the carapace and plastron separated  a bit before fossilization.

There’s a wee bit of disarticulation here for sure. 

I wrapped up the carapace and decided to drag all the pieces out to see where they fit together and hopefully figure out where some of the mystery bits go. Here’s a current progress pic. The scale cube gets smaller and smaller…

989F860C-FB7B-4173-A336-DF6BCF01FF28.thumb.jpeg.d555c96e0a4bad9322c064ec7db20160.jpeg

• Enjoyed 15