Turtle Prep

Ptychodus04

Aw, man, that is rough! It is like constantly chasing the horizon when it comes to our prep tools, isn't it? There's always something missing, something not quite right, or something that needs to be replaced. That alone makes me all the more appreciative when I purchase expensive fossils since we understand the wear and tear on equipment, let alone the hours sunk into doing a solid prep. 

It could be worse: you could be trying to rock a MacGuver-ized Paasche like me. :D 

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Aw, man, that is rough! It is like constantly chasing the horizon when it comes to our prep tools, isn't it? There's always something missing, something not quite right, or something that needs to be replaced. That alone makes me all the more appreciative when I purchase expensive fossils since we understand the wear and tear on equipment, let alone the hours sunk into doing a solid prep. 

It could be worse: you could be trying to rock a MacGuver-ized Paasche like me. :D 

Yah, fossil prep is a never ending financial drain at times. :P 

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Really? How did you convert it?

11 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Really? How did you convert it?

The back end hose kept popping out from pressure, so I glued and duct-taped it. The canister got inflated, and I did some other little fixes to improve powder flow. The tip is entirely reconstructed to allow smaller dispensing size, too. It still is fickle. There are times it works like a Swam, and other times it works like piece of junk. I really ought to roll my stock gains into upgrading my abrasion capabilities!

Or, since Kris neglected my birthday, he can buy me a Swam because he is a stand-up guy. :D 

10 minutes ago, Kane said:

Or, since Kris neglected my birthday, he can buy me a Swam because he is a stand-up guy.

Typing this reply while laying on the floor... :default_rofl:

Are you telling me that the one I had sent to your house hasn't arrived yet? I guess that's what you get for living in Canada. It must be stuck in customs. :P

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah, they are probably holding it for me to pay duties at 200% of the value of the unit. :D 

• Enjoyed 1

More progress on the turtle prep. I’m about to dig into the carapace blocks. Then, I’ll have to piece all the bits together in order to understand how the specimen is laying in the matrix.

640C0026-3B5E-4E0F-BA1D-3E744EDB4299.thumb.jpeg.aea17326786e3b0b37047a2e1fbe40eb.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

Love seeing the progress. And can't wait to see when you puzzle it together!

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Those bones look very nice! It feels so weird saying that... I can't wait to see the next update.

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 1

I finished this block (until it gets glued back to its counterpart). And moved on to another limb this weekend. I will eventually even out the matrix and remove the tool marks.

0092903A-E1D4-4D71-B912-FCC6D9F7C466.thumb.jpeg.248ca07c17f65ea1a713b432580f3f73.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

On 6/27/2022 at 7:22 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

I will eventually even out the matrix and remove the tool marks.

This is actually something that was discussed at the local museum prep lab when I worked there. Is it standard practice around the world to remove the tool marks? When we were discussing it, some preparators thought the tool marks made the fossil look worked on so you could see the hard work that had gone into it and others, including myself, think that removing the tool marks and evening out the matrix gives it a better finish  :zzzzscratchchin:

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

On 6/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I got the Swam blaster up and running yesterday and with some tuning, she's ripping through the turtle matrix. I had to drill out the orifices in the orifice plate to significantly increase the abrasive flow for the turtle. Of course, this means that I will have way too much abrasive flow for more delicate preps... Nothing to fear, for a measly $250, I can get a different plate with smaller orifices and swap it out in about a minute.

On top of all this, I noticed that I'm getting some condensation past my desiccant. Now, I have close to $300 worth of water/oil filter and desiccant replacements on their way. :duh2:

I drilled my Swam Blaster orifice plate out as soon as I got it.  I think I drilled out three of the eight holes.  I went through three bits cuz the holes are carbide lined.  And then I found that I was having waaaaay too much powder flow.  I plugged one with a dab of duct tape that has been at the bottom of my tank now for 20 years plus.  I also got a second orifice plate with smaller holes to do the small size fossils.  They were only 180 bucks back then. 

I also filled a wee little ziplock with silica gel and put many pinholes in it and then stuck that in the tank when I was using dolomite.  Worked pretty well.  Silica gel is pretty cheap but I also have saved a liter's worth from all sorts of shipments and purchases that come with a little bag of the stuff.  

12 minutes ago, GorgonGal said:

This is actually something that was discussed at the local museum prep lab when I worked there. Is it standard practice around the world to remove the tool marks? When we were discussing it, some preparators thought the tool marks made the fossil look worked on so you could see the hard work that had gone into it and others, including myself, think that removing the tool marks and evening out the matrix gives it a better finish  :zzzzscratchchin:

personal choice, I reckon.  I like to get rid of them, myself.  

• I Agree 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:02 PM, GorgonGal said:

I like them gone. My ego does not require people to see the tool marks in order for my prep work to be appreciated. :P IMHO, tool marks make the specimen look unfinished and it is a sign of an inexperienced preparator's work.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, jpc said:

I drilled my Swam Blaster orifice plate out as soon as I got it.  I think I drilled out three of the eight holes.  I went through three bits cuz the holes are carbide lined.  And then I found that I was having waaaaay too much powder flow.  I plugged one with a dab of duct tape that has been at the bottom of my tank now for 20 years plus.  I also got a second orifice plate with smaller holes to do the small size fossils.  They were only 180 bucks back then. 

I also filled a wee little ziplock with silica gel and put many pinholes in it and then stuck that in the tank when I was using dolomite.  Worked pretty well.  Silica gel is pretty cheap but I also have saved a liter's worth from all sorts of shipments and purchases that come with a little bag of the stuff.  

I started with 2 holes and moved up to 4... still not enough flow, so I skipped 6 and went right to all 8... oops, should have stayed at 6. :duh2: I could easily plug 2 with a bit of brazing but that just seems like it would open a rat's nest of problems. I have a 2nd plate with smaller orifices that came with the unit. I may modify it for more delicate work. The worst case scenario is that I have to throw more money at it. :default_faint:

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

@Ptychodus04 -- Well, so much for my Yelp review of "Kris' tool marks are the very best in the industry." :P 

I agree with your position, although for me masking all the tool marks remains an ongoing challenge. 

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

@Ptychodus04 -- Well, so much for my Yelp review of "Kris' tool marks are the very best in the industry." :P 

I agree with your position, although for me masking all the tool marks remains an ongoing challenge. 

:default_rofl: 

It can be a real pain, especially on larger specimens. I don't even want to think about the hours of intense boredom that are going to go into removing them from this specimen. I purchased a chisel tip stylus for my ME9100, that should speed the process. It's a lot easier to remove scribe marks with a chisel tip than a pointed tip. Another variable is getting a consistent angle on the matrix around a specimen, and the correct angle as well. Too steep, and the matrix casts a shadow. Too gradual and the specimen looks weird against the matrix and you lose contrast of depth.

Edited by Ptychodus04
  • I found this Informative 2

"By his tool marks, ye shall know him." :D 

A chisel tip is a great idea. I know I have the same problem judging elevations under the scope where everything gets a bit exaggerated or underestimated. I find both catastrophes and "it looks fine" get magnified under the lens. 

• I found this Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

"By his tool marks, ye shall know him." :D 

A chisel tip is a great idea. I know I have the same problem judging elevations under the scope where everything gets a bit exaggerated or underestimated. I find both catastrophes and "it looks fine" get magnified under the lens. 

Agreed. I only sculpt/remove tooling under the scope when I'm working close to the specimen. Otherwise, it's unmagnified work.

Worth all the hard work and hours spent. 

That turtle will soon be a s good as new. 

Tortoise.gif.8e6388b564d7074944d9808e0845b935.gif

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Back on the prep attack. This is a very jumbled up foot!3DA70B58-463B-4FF1-8E1C-63324803AE4C.thumb.jpeg.01de18e985c35d5f138b07bc5ec9278f.jpeg

I am glad that my foot does not look like that! I am really looking forward to seeing this turtle all prepped and put back together. I think it is going to be an awesome piece.

1 hour ago, fossilhunter21 said:

I am glad that my foot does not look like that! I am really looking forward to seeing this turtle all prepped and put back together. I think it is going to be an awesome piece.

My foot feels like that sometimes. :default_rofl:

I have a couple smaller preps to focus on and then I'll be cracking into the carapace blocks. They are huge! I can barely lift them and I'm relatively strong.

• Enjoyed 2