Pain in the back (how to get rid of it?)

MrBones

Hello all,

Do you have any tips to minimise back strain while fossil hunting?

We go home with stiff backs, weather we walk on the beach or scratch next to the road, and it takes a few days to fully recover.

I tried to think of some solutions, like buying kneepads so that I can put more weight on my knees instead of my back while I scrach and hit at rocks.

Edited by MrBones

Special designed strength training for your back!

Are you doing any sports?
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

As Franz is pointing out, regular excercise is the best deterrent. Also learning about the correct posture and how to get into crouching and such positions with the least strain on your back is important. Physiotherapists can give you tips on that. Also take a break every once in a while and do some stretching excercises during your searching activities. Just don't overdo it.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Knee pads sound good. Maybe one of those velcro weight lifting belts (the softer kind) to restrict movement . Carrying heavy weight will mess your back up, so try to minimize. Also Tylenol could help if you already have pain.

Good luck with your solution. We've all been there or will get there at some point. -JQ

• Thank You 1

I have multiple health issues and have to squat more versus bending over. But, I also feel like sometimes I find more that way.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

Use your legs. Don't bend at the waist as much. This will take care of 75% of the problem. Simple stretching exercises, about ten minutes' worth, before you start collecting will help another 10%. The last 15% is to regularly exercise your back so it is more accustomed to the movements involved and the muscles are stronger overall. Don't use any painkiller during collecting. That will mask the pain which is your body's way of telling you that you may be doing damage to your back muscles, and may end up doing some serious damage. I know that doing warmup exercises before collecting can look ridiculous to others, but it isn't as painful as pulled back muscles. I had back problems and used to warm up and get a few chuckles from others, but then I got to laugh at them on the way back to the car.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Several years ago I used to have problems with back pain.  This was probably not due to collecting (as my schedule allowed for collecting only infrequently) but more likely long hours sitting in front of a computer.  Regardless, for exercise I started to ride my bicycle to and from work, about 4 1/2 miles each way over hilly terrain.  To my surprise the back issues quickly went away!  I suspect that the position (bent forward towards the handlebars) stretched out my back muscles, and combined with the vigorous exercise alleviated the problem.  Losing some weight no doubt helped as well.  Anyway, I recommend trying bike riding for back issues.  Also Mark gives good advice, use your legs rather than always bending at the waist, and do warm-up stretches.

Don

Also, you can buy or make a long-handled net/scoop for on the beach. My husband made two different ones with different size mesh (although one doesn't work very well), since he's had back surgery. Helps him a lot, but I have to be closer to the ground to see the little teeth on the beach.

1153004044_KIMG29112.JPG

Edited by Fin Lover
Deleted extra word

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

I agree, I do several hundred reps of core exercises every morning to help keep my back in tune. I have a couple of degenerated disks in my lower back and if I throw it out, I am out of commission for a while. Knock on wood, it has not happened in a long time. I am also very cognizant of everything that I do with my back- lifting, bending and for sure twisting motions. 

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

As Franz is pointing out, regular excercise is the best deterrent. Also learning about the correct posture and how to get into crouching and such positions with the least strain on your back is important. Physiotherapists can give you tips on that. Also take a break every once in a while and do some stretching excercises during your searching activities. Just don't overdo it.

Currently I'm focusing more on my education than sports, but I'll try to be more active!

Bending your knees sure does help, I should maybe pay more attention to that.

55 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Use your legs. Don't bend at the waist as much. This will take care of 75% of the problem. Simple stretching exercises, about ten minutes' worth, before you start collecting will help another 10%. The last 15% is to regularly exercise your back so it is more accustomed to the movements involved and the muscles are stronger overall. Don't use any painkiller during collecting. That will mask the pain which is your body's way of telling you that you may be doing damage to your back muscles, and may end up doing some serious damage. I know that doing warmup exercises before collecting can look ridiculous to others, but it isn't as painful as pulled back muscles. I had back problems and used to warm up and get a few chuckles from others, but then I got to laugh at them on the way back to the car.

It's been pretty chilly here recently, warming up my muscles with a few stretches would be ideal! 

29 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Several years ago I used to have problems with back pain.  This was probably not due to collecting (as my schedule allowed for collecting only infrequently) but more likely long hours sitting in front of a computer.  Regardless, for exercise I started to ride my bicycle to and from work, about 4 1/2 miles each way over hilly terrain.  To my surprise the back issues quickly went away!  I suspect that the position (bent forward towards the handlebars) stretched out my back muscles, and combined with the vigorous exercise alleviated the problem.  Losing some weight no doubt helped as well.  Anyway, I recommend trying bike riding for back issues.  Also Mark gives good advice, use your legs rather than always bending at the waist, and do warm-up stretches.

Don

I will definitely get on my bike more often then! I feel kind of bad for neglecting it for so long.

Thank you all for your responses. I'll keep them all in consideration when out on my next hunt!

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago after years of back pain I learned to do stretches every morning and especially before any sort of physical activity.  Just some very simple moves that take all of 5-10 minutes and seem to make the day go much much smoother.

Also do a little stretching before you get back in the car and drive home.

And it may not seem intuitive but proper hydration is also VERY important. Not enough fluids and the muscles can not shed the toxins they build up.

Super simple but it should help.

Young person here who's had to deal with back pain from injuries deadlifting/working out - stretches are SUPER important, so gonna second that. If you feel particularly stiff after a day, throw a towel into the small of your back on the car ride home. Just enough to act as some lower back support. Once you're home, put a pillow under your chest, and lay on your stomach for an hour or so. Both of these will take lots of pressure off your lower back and allow your spine to decompress and your lower back muscles to relax.

Fossils? I dig it. :meg: