Possible fish or maybe bird bone

almach

Here is a photo of either a fish or bird bone.   Bone appears to be solid.

Muddy Creek, VA.  Nanjemoy Fm.  Eocene

PSMC0000698 UNKNOWN BONE.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Left side kind of reminds me of a tibia.

Face-on views of the ends of the sides could also be helpful.

On 5/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Interesting specimen.  If the bone is solid, it isn't a bird bone, as they are hollow with very thin walls.  It is hard to tell from the picture, but if the bone is black in color and somewhat shinny, it is a bony fish bone.

Marco Sr,

• Thank You 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I agree that the left end looks like distal tibia, but the rest of it is weird.  This one may need to be seen in the hand... at least by me.  But if you could show us end on views of both ends.....

• I Agree 1

I live in Jersey but I am always impressed by the variety of fossils that come from Virginia. This is a crazy cool fossil from a formation that I am pretty familiar with...while most people will default to fish, I think its bird for several reasons I will not illustrate here- therefore rare... I hope you might take it to a paleontologist or comparative anatomist (professional) if only for a look see. Thanks for showing this! 

5 hours ago, C.P. Sheridan said:

I think its bird for several reasons I will not illustrate here-

Why ? :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

13 hours ago, C.P. Sheridan said:

I think its bird for several reasons I will not illustrate here- therefore rare... I hope you might take it to a paleontologist or comparative anatomist (professional) if only for a look see.

A curious statement, Chris, that begs a question. 

Hopefully @almach can post more images and get it examined by a local paleontologist.

• I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hello,

I do know a couple of paleontologists but I don't know when I could get to show it to them. I will try to get a couple more photos of each end of the bone.

• Enjoyed 2

After the first wash of excitement, closer examination of the images revealed more 'not-bird' details than I can dismiss. More images (especially end-view) might help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

38 minutes ago, Auspex said:

After the first wash of excitement, closer examination of the images revealed more 'not-bird' details than I can dismiss. More images (especially end-view) might help.

I am  right now preparing to take photos of the ends of the bone (Hope photo works). I will post them if they come out ok.

• Enjoyed 1

Here are the last two photos of the bone since the bone is no more. I guess it was too weak when I went to photo the other end, and the bone shattered.  Not the first time I lost a fossil do to griping it too hard.  Could not find the rest of it, sorry.  The first photo shows the side that does appear hollow, the other side did seem to be solid.  Not the end of the world!

667576546_PSMC0000698ENDUNKNOWNBONE.JPG

207186522_PSMC0000698END2UNKNOWNBONE.JPG