Vaniman SandStorm

Vaxix

Is this worth getting as my first sandblaster for small specimen or should I look at building my own? 

Also, has anyone used this or just the air pen before and give me their opinion or if there is a better option for me out there? I see that some people here will use there mobile pen and attach it to their sand blasting chambers. 

Screenshot_20220516-131958.thumb.png.04999c462110fc26255d56aae9f4d4a9.png

I have the Mobile Problast, the precursor to the Mobile Sandstorm. It works well with some caveats (it is a low cost system after all). The hopper needs to be no less than 80% full and no more than 95% for optimal use. Anny less, and the powder flow is spotty, any more and you get a massive stream of powder that is useless. Also, the stock tip is too big for detailed prep. I swapped it for the medium carbide tip and it works well.

A DIY cabinet provides more versatility. If you need something larger, simply make a new one. A self contained system limits your use. I'm about to make a large cabinet for working on the big slabs from the turtle prep I have just begun.

• I found this Informative 3

Another point to be aware of is that not all powders can be used with the Vaniman system. I've found that some powders are "sticky" and clog the orifice. I can't use dolomite nor crushed glass. Glass beads , pumice, AtH, and Sodium bicarb work well. It's not a matter of particle size but rather a function of the powder's "stickiness" vs. flowability.

• I found this Informative 2

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Another point. Vaniman recommended against that model with the built-in filter for fossils. They said that the vacuum and filter would be overwhelmed. They recommended the two tank model with an external vacuum like a ShopVac.

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

I'll give you the same advice I got.  Build your own blast box. ITs not hard, its not expensive (not nearly as much as what that premade on will run) it just takes a little time and thought.  You can do a search here in the forum and find lots of talk and some great instructions from the older threads.  @Malcolmt layout is great and has been the basis for lots of builds.

The Vaniman is a great start into micro-abrasion prep, and I have been using their problast for a couple years now.

You WILL need a box/cabinet/chamber to work in, and you WILL need a vacuum system to keep both the work space clear as well as the air youre breathing.

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Very informative! I will probably start planning a build in that case after I move. Thank you all for the responses.