Is this a fossilized turtle shell or is it just poop??

Fea

Hello! While doing some gardening today I came across something that caught my eye. Looks like a partial piece of a fossilized turtle shell, but I'm discovering that it could just be fossilized poop :/ really light weight. Brown in color. Any ideas??

-Even if it isn't a turtle shell, I'll still be adding it to my collection. Looks pretty cool

16528337270116668886687059859582.jpg

16528337905771563467657085172312.jpg

Not familiar with any coprolites that look like that but Lori will see this and weigh in with an expert opinion. I've seen more than my share of fossilized turtle shell and I'll confirm that it is not that either. I can see the faint resemblance to the pattern of the neural bones on a turtle's carapace but this piece is too small to contain multiple turtle bones. To me this appears to be part of a septarian concretion or some sort of weathered mudstone. Not seeing any fossils but still a cool looking stone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudstone

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 4

Based off of the cracks a grooves, they don't seem to have a pattern, so I agree with digit.

• Thank You 1

Not seeing turtle, or coprolite,, or any other fossil in there. I agree with digit. Sorry.

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

You guys are awesome!! I appreciate all the input! Kinda bummed that it's not a fossil, but still a really cool find. I'm definitely keeping it to add to my Rock collection :)

Thanks yall! 

• Enjoyed 1

It looks close to the extrusions from Washington state. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library