Show us your fossil prep projects!

Nanotyrannus35

Alright fossil preppers, show us what you're working on! I've been working on prepping this Priscacara for about 6 months on and off with a pin vice.

IMG_3960.JPG.ef5fc3b953b4e634c398d7b4c9d1bf71.JPG

• Enjoyed 3

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

I’ve got several projects I’m working in currently but the ones at the forefront right now are my dust-odont, an oreodont skull, and a priscacara, and a section of spine.

87EF8F86-620C-4D3D-8216-34A52CCB333B.jpeg

6E226E6B-100C-4BB4-92AD-8831EA2CC56A.jpeg

EBA46B4A-C3DB-41A5-B0F9-EE027E0A1114.jpeg

73FE736E-CDBB-45DC-8BA1-D497C7EF20DF.jpeg

• Enjoyed 5

I see that crab too.  Looks very much like a Pulalius vulgaris from Washington

RB

I should have posted this first.  I have projects laying all over my prep garage and other buildings that ive started and put aside for what ever reason/s.  none of these are done and  have many many more.  Only hope I can finish them all? 

RB

CG001C.JPG

P7210105.JPG

P7080088.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

• Enjoyed 8

@RJB whoa those are cool!
@LudwigiaAnd yes that is a crab in the backround waiting its turn! I’ve got a couple really small ones that I’m waiting to do until I can upgrade my tools.

Here is the last rabbit I prepped, finished it ~2 weeks ago.  Starting on the next one.

DSC01576.thumb.JPG.ec069bbecc5afbd3f188d484b7e0ccea.JPG

• Enjoyed 7

On 5/17/2022 at 10:00 PM, Randyw said:

87EF8F86-620C-4D3D-8216-34A52CCB333B.jpeg

Wow! That looks like one nasty prep! What even is in there?

That is what remains of an oreodont skull. So far I've found a 1"x1" piece of pallet a few teeth and a piece of zygomatic arch. The person I got it from thinks he remembers it being mostly there but after 20 years of bouncing around in a loose matrix this is what remains. I'm trying to piece it back together

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, Randyw said:

I'm trying to piece it back together

Looks like a real puzzle for sure.  Best of luck

RB

On 5/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, RJB said:

I should have posted this first.  I have projects laying all over my prep garage and other buildings that ive started and put aside for what ever reason/s.  none of these are done and  have many many more.  Only hope I can finish them all? 

RB

CG001C.JPG

P7210105.JPG

P7080088.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

If you don't mind me asking, how do you have so much amazing stuff to prep? Is it personal stuff to keep or is this work to do? I hope I am not prying by asking, it is just crazy you can have so many quality fossils just lying around! I never see any of this stuff in the UK for sale so you are so lucky to have access to such incredible specimens!

22 hours ago, mr.cheese said:

If you don't mind me asking, how do you have so much amazing stuff to prep?

I think the best reason I have so many is that for the last 31 years I simply eat drink and dream of fossils.   and when I started to lose my health I simply started buying fossils.  Unprepped of course.  Also, when I was younger, I didnt care if it was storming, I didnt care how far I had to hike, didnt care how much digging there was to do and I was stronger than a bull and could carry much more than the average person.  It wasn't a competition, just the way I was. 

RB

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

42 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think the best reason I have so many is that for the last 31 years I simply eat drink and dream of fossils.   and when I started to lose my health I simply started buying fossils.  Unprepped of course.  Also, when I was younger, I didnt care if it was storming, I didnt care how far I had to hike, didnt care how much digging there was to do and I was stronger than a bull and could carry much more than the average person.  It wasn't a competition, just the way I was. 

RB

I am amazed at all the Fossil Preparers on this forum, especially this guy.  I am hoping you are signing each masterpiece.  I could see lots of flourishes around the "RJB '22". 

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, RJB said:

RB

Part of it is opportunity as well.    Certainly those of us who live in central/west North America have lots of nearby localities.  Fossils aren't rare, going out into the field to find them is.  I have always been able to collect far more than I could prepare in a reasonable timeframe.

• Enjoyed 2

On 5/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, RJB said:

RB

Well I am jealous of you except for the failing health, that's not good but it doesn't seem to stop the prepping so long may you trundle on! I wish shipping to the UK wasn't so expensive as I would be pestering you for some of those specimens when you get round to them!

I am also impressed that you have held such a passion for fossils for 31 years! I am in deep now but it took me a fair few years to get to this point!

• Enjoyed 1

I've been working on this Priscacara and friend (Knightia?) on and off these past few months, acquired in a trade from the generous @RJB. I've been using xacto knives and a needle. I hadn't done any work on it, or any others, for the last two months until today, and once I got started I realized how much I've missed it. I bruise easily these days and can't work on it very long but it was really a pleasure to pick away at it today. I did wrap my fingers and tools with a fabric bandage and that helped tremendously. I'm looking forward to working on it again tomorrow.

1315282778_Priscacara6-3.thumb.jpg.c0942ad0c1ecc63bb26bafc307a9acae.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

41 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

I've been working on this Priscacara and friend (Knightia?

Thats coming out great!

9 hours ago, Pagurus said:

I've been working on this Priscacara and friend (Knightia?) on and off these past few months, acquired in a trade from the generous @RJB.

Very nice.  So glad your having some fun with it.  

RB

Getting there. After cutting this rock down and doing the prep, I'm in the long and slow process of doing some restoration. Gabriceraurus plattinensis. I found it a week ago and started in on it in the last few days. 

1F8FFD21-F488-4132-B8E9-19BD64307EE6_1_201_a.jpeg

Just some base work to build up the palpebral lobe, eye and the axial area. I'm using wood filler for the first time, and it isn't easy... but then carving is not something that comes easily to me anyway. Once that is done, trying to do paint matching. 

8C53AB46-A653-4DA8-B409-061F65B815C6.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2022 at 4:26 AM, RJB said:

RB

CG001C.JPG

P7210105.JPG

P7080088.JPG

DSCN0034.JPG

That disarticulated green river slab looks like it would be pretty interesting prepped out. I see at least 4 individuals- is that large one a Mioplosus? Any progress on this since your original post?

7 hours ago, AlaskaNick said:

That disarticulated green river slab looks like it would be pretty interesting prepped out. I see at least 4 individuals- is that large one a Mioplosus? Any progress on this since your original post?

My guess for the big one is also Myo.  I have done a bunch of work on this, but it is not finished.  Someday I will finish it, but dont know when.  Right now Im doing a video about prepping 3 Tumido crabs all at the same time.  That  is taking up most of my time nowadays. 

• Enjoyed 1

I've recently started prepping a partial oreodont skull. It's about 50 percent complete, but I got it for a really good price.

• Enjoyed 1