Question regarding formations in and around San Francisco

LexonTheDragon

Is Pacifica part of the Purisima Formation or the Merced Formation? If possible, could someone tell me areas around Pacifica that are Purisima, and some that are Merced? sorry if I'm asking a lot, I am just genuinely confused about where each formation is because they are so close to each other. 

I'm not sure why they are mutually exclusive. When I go to a beach with sea cliffs, you can see exposures that can reveal layers from different formations. The Purisima is upper Miocene and Pliocene https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/2007/1740/ while the Merced is Plio-Pleistocene https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Geolex/UnitRefs/MercedRefs_13684.html. I don't see why you can't be in Pacifica and see layers that correspond to both. I quote from the latter link, "In Santa Cruz region the Merced rests on Purisima formation. It is considered older than Berkeley group. (See USGS San Francisco folio, no. 193.)"

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The base of the Merced Formation is somewhere around the garbage dump at the north end of Pacifica - there's a section of cliffs that stretches for several miles and are difficult to survey owing to lack of access points, but I spent a lot of time visiting when I was in high school. The Merced Formation exposures are continuous from here all the way up to Fort Funston, where the deposits transition from marine to nonmarine.

The San Andreas Fault goes offshore at mussel rock, which is Fransiscan basement, and the Merced is deposited right up against the fault.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1