This is actually quite enjoyable finding out which  fossils are real and fake. First pic we have a fossil flower stamen from the Green River Formation in Utah. The second piece was quite cheap, but it's from Morocco (Anti-Atlas Mtns.) and it seemed odd to me that the bottom Orthoceras has the same pattern as the matrix below it. But perhaps you have an explanation for that. The third piece is a Ginkgo leaf from the Sentinel Butte Formation of North Dakota. The final piece is a Juvenile Megalodon tooth from Pungo River Formation of North Carolina. Thanks again to everyone who's helped out, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's learned something.

Screenshot from 2022-04-13 12-12-52(1).png

20220519_162743.jpg

20220519_162721.jpg

20220519_162855.jpg

20220519_162917.jpg

I believe the flower stamen is real. It looks very similar to other (real) pieces I found online, and I notice no red flags.

The Orthoceras look real. Its one of the most common fossils for sale. The biggest has the same pattern as the rock below it because it is the same fossil. They just didn't polish it for one reason or another, perhaps it was broken and they couldn't make the shape they wanted.

No idea on the Ginkgo. I would guess real because I think I see impressions of other leaves in the top left corner and it looks like other images I found online.

Megalodon tooth looks real to me. Not sure the size but its not in 100% perfect condition so unlikely to be faked. Its a cool fossil, but why fake a juvenile one in good condition, when you could fake a 3 inch perfect one.

Edited by Top Trilo
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The Moroccan orthocerids are real. The resemblance in the matrix id down to prepping, because they only prepped a nice looking bit and not the whole fossil,. No one fakes these as their are billions of them here, though they sometimes get placed in a matrix with other stuff. 

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png