Vertebrae fossil Door County, WI

Bradfalco

My son found, what looks to us to be, a backbone in the rock, in the shallow water of a beach in Door County, WI. The first picture is the fossil in question, the others are other things we found interesting but less convinced they are fossils.  I would estimate it to be about 15 to 18 inches in length.  Any idea what it could be?  Thanks in advance for your time.

PXL_20220514_171050037.TS_exported_33.jpg

PXL_20220514_174420881.jpg

PXL_20220514_171044388.jpg

PXL_20220514_170959455.jpg

PXL_20220514_170626799.jpg

How cool!  Definitely a vertebral column but no clue from what.  Surely someone will know.

It is not a vertebrae. The rocks in Door County are much too old (Silurian).

What you found is the siphuncle of an orthocone nautiloid. It is a type of shelled mollusk that were common during the Silurian.

I have found a few similar ones around Door County and Washington Island.

• I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated, is this photo most likely a similar find, or just a stretch of the imagination?  Also any idea if this was the full size of the creature, my 4 year old son is gonna want all the details.  Thanks again.

PXL_20220514_174420881.jpg

I'm not certain, but I think it likely that the second piece is also a remnant of an orthoconic nautiloid. 

Nautiloids: The First Cephalopods | TONMO: The Octopus News Magazine Online

Sometimes, the siphuncle is not entirely straight or cameral deposits in the septa produce harder sections. 

Actinoceras oreleriseptum, nautiloid (Photos Framed, Prints, Puzzles,  Posters,...) #8586521

• I Agree 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 hours ago, Bradfalco said:

Thanks for the answers, they are much appreciated, is this photo most likely a similar find, or just a stretch of the imagination?  Also any idea if this was the full size of the creature, my 4 year old son is gonna want all the details.  Thanks again.

They range from 1 inch to 17 feet in length. The ones in your photos I would guestimate at 3 to five feet in length. The critter tapered, so extend the taper to a pointed end and add a bit to the other end to get an approximate length. If you can find some exposures of the same rock on shore you may be able to find some that have not been worn down by wave action. 

Good luck and don't forget to have fun.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!