Shellseeker

I was out hunting the Peace River  yesterday,  and then went to my local fossil club meeting, last of the season doing a swap & sell, show and tell session.

There were some impressive finds this season.  I did not get a lot of photos but the TFF member sitting at my table had these: Matched pair of Mastodon 8 humpers.  That's a great find.

IMG_5784.thumb.JPEG.d8320c6f921bb80482ed23df6af4947e.JPEG

I always sign up for the Club Raffle,  which has a lot of items donated by club members   and I won.  Went to the fossil table and selected this ziplock bag of coral fragments: I recognize that Rose Coral (Manicina areolata)  and what looks like Brian corals on the right side.

IMG_5806S.thumb.jpg.4fa5ece28d4b2d1e15eba521c648a50b.jpg

As soon as I saw those splotches on the bottom coral,  I knew I had questions to ask on TFF today.  That is the ID question.  What is the coral?  and what are the possibilities for that encrustation on the underside?

IMG_5801.thumb.JPEG.ee3e532be78200d6ac084d1499d447f2.JPEGIMG_5797.thumb.JPEG.b748a31501755f18d65e56ddc8977281.JPEGIMG_5798.thumb.JPEG.ab14e6e3fb6fd91eacc8937ac5e738e3.JPEG

Blotch.JPG.8de3e2634e3f4c99f291d135a485e29d.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I can't tell you what the encrustations are, but the coral is Agaracia sp.  LINK

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

5 minutes ago, MikeR said:

I can't tell you what the encrustations are, but the coral is Agaracia sp.  LINK

WOW !!! Mike, that was fast... I think the fastest ID I have ever received. 

At the Club Meeting, I bumped into Les, who used to hunt Aurora, now SW Florida.  He has some fantastic collections,  and sings your praises. I suppose that is natural since he seems addicted to shells.

Thanks, Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"