Grayson County creek - May 20th

BudB

I hadn't been out fossil hunting lately. We've been getting enough rain to make me wonder how high the water level in creeks would be, plus spring fishing is so good on Cedar Creek Lake, where I live, that on days where I don't spend a couple of hours on the bicycle, I've just been going fishing. But now we've had a couple of weeks without much rain, so I'd been wanting to make a trip back to Grayson County. I had a doctor appointment in Dallas Friday morning, so I decided I would leave from there and make the drive to Grayson County.

It was 10:30 am before I reached this day's creek, rapidly approaching the heat of the day, so I knew this would be a short visit to the creek. It was hot and sunny Friday, and I got reminded just how much heat you feel from those gravel bars when you're on knees and elbows. By shortly after 1:00 pm, I was cooked and ready to make the drive home. But this part of the creek is so much more grown up than when I was last there, I had a tough time getting out of the creek without getting torn up by briars and tree limbs. I ended up looking like I had been on the short end of a fight with a wildcat. I was already carrying leg chaps, but just never stopped to put them on. I've found some old kevlar arm chaps too. I'm going to start making myself wear both when traversing the thick stuff from now on. 71 year old skin just seems to suffer a lot more damage in these situations than young skin does.

But as always in Grayson County, I did find some fossils. Here are photos of some, just as they lay when I found them. Each of those last two photos have two teeth in them. It's not often that I find two teeth that close together.
large.gra01401.jpg.0fcf261f73ee95260b5e7

large.gra01402.jpg.167008c03855bacf393c2

large.gra01403.jpg.f9e9fc527473120e59bed

large.gra01404.jpg.4f70db206b155551b87da

Edited by BudB

Here is what I brought home on Friday. One of those teeth is so small, I don't know how my old eyes spotted it. It makes you wonder just how many micro teeth there are in these creeks.

large.gra01405.jpg.2e1e625e524d74f620ae4

• Enjoyed 2

One of the things I really like about the creeks in this area is that there's always the possibility of finding a very large tooth (very large for Texas, that is), and Friday, I found this beauty. If I ever stop getting excited about finding a tooth this size, I'll know it's time to find a new hobby.
large.gra01406.jpg.fee2bdfc97318e58fe5fe

Here is a piece of a sawfish rostral tooth. I've never found a complete one.
large.gra01408.jpg.bef96044c59c6b497887b

And as usually happens on these trips, I got reminded of my beginner status by a piece I couldn't identify. So I'll once again ask for identification help. The first side of this piece just looks like a round black rock, but the flat second side has quite a distinctive pattern on it.
9mU5MIf.jpg

7dvPN8p.jpg

Edited by BudB

The unidentified fossil is a lovely pycnodus fish mouth plate

2 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

The unidentified fossil is a lovely pycnodus fish mouth plate

Wow, so it is. Thanks for that. It's always fun and exciting to find something new and different. I'll update the album tags.