JulieHC

Hello! 
Looking for ID, and approximate age or time period. These were found in recent weeks in Holden Beach, North Carolina. Any and all information on what these are would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

It might be the echinoid Hardouinia from the late Cretaceous but wait for expert opinion. :)

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Does anyone know how many years ago the Late Crustacean Peedee Formation was approximately?

5 minutes ago, JulieHC said:

Does anyone know how many years ago the Late Crustacean Peedee Formation was approximately?

Late cretaceous is 66-100 million years ago. Peedee formation is the name of the late cretaceous rocks in the Carolinas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peedee_Formation

Edited by JBkansas
  • Thank You 1

Appreciate it. My kids want to take these in to show their teachers and class. And we wanted to have correct information when we sent them in with it. Thank you to all who answered!!

Hi JulieHC, nice finds.

Fellow forum members,

I wonder about the state of preservation, are these steinkerns with the "teeth" included? Or are the five "teeth" visible here part of the test in this species?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

1 hour ago, Plax said:

What did you clean it with?

Cleaned with vinegar and muiratic acid

Quite a difference between what you have and the way they look when collected. I have some that are almost black. You no doubt are aware of being careful not to let the fossil get dissolved away when using acid. Nice job!