NJ Fossiling localities

Cavecollector

Hi everyone just joined and will upload some of my finds soon. I am looking for some great locations to take my kids and some for my buddies as well who have just gotten the fossil itch. If anyone has some suggestions for NJ and closer PA locations please let me know (directions or addressesare very appreciated and would love to join up on trips as well!). Have an awesome time on your digs everyone! 

Wow thanks so much Vae70! Will definitely check them out. 1 thing I always wanted to collect are trilos and heard about trilobite ridge and mountain. Are sites still accessible? 

Unsure, I am also from the area and have trilos on my bucket list. Best bet would be Deep Springs Road up in NY or they are rarely found at Deer Lake

On 5/24/2022 at 6:02 AM, Cavecollector said:

Hi everyone just joined and will upload some of my finds soon. I am looking for some great locations to take my kids and some for my buddies as well who have just gotten the fossil itch. If anyone has some suggestions for NJ and closer PA locations please let me know (directions or addressesare very appreciated and would love to join up on trips as well!). Have an awesome time on your digs everyone! 

Cape May: While not a fossil loocality per se, Sunset Beach at the southernmost tip of NJ past Cape May is a fun place to stop,  One can always find reworked Paleozoic fossils in chert pebbles (brachiopods, corals, bryozoans, I've even found a trilobite pebble), and sometimes small shark teeth (black, phosphatized), as well as "Cape May Diamonds" (small, transparent quartz), carnelian, cherts, agates and such in the accumulations of pebbles and cobbles (great stuff for the rock tumbler).  There's a nice rock shop there too!

As a bonus, the beaches are very nice, there's always a cool breeze, dolphins are common offshore, and the sunsets are worth hanging around for. 

Sewell: The NJ Fossil Park in Sewell.  Website: https://www.rowan.edu/fossils/

Also in Sewell, one can find belemnites, some in greensand matrix in the streambed of Chestnut Branch.  Take Center Street from Barnsboro east towards Sewell. About half-way between the two towns  the road crosses Chestnut Branch.  Bring a shovel and screen.  The waters are usually shallow (2-3 ft)

Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Thanks Hemi! Really like the info you shared, kids will like these places. 

If you're real interested in collecting trilobites a trip up to Central New York would be your best bet. The New York Paleontological Society organizes outings to a number of sites. Membership is cheap, and especially worth it to new collectors. As far as New Jersey collecting; Big Brook and nearby Ramanessin Brook both have exposures of Upper Cretaceous marine sediments. Shark teeth are the most abundant fossils though a wide variety of other fish, invertebrates, marine reptiles, and occasional dinosaur bone fragments and teeth can be found. Those sites are well documented on the internet, should be no trouble to find and are child friendly though I wouldn't walk in the streams barefoot because there is broken glass. Good luck!

Thanks Jeffrey P! I have had such a great experience with everyone being so helpful and friendly, I really appreciate the input from the forum community. Thank you everyone! 

I have been to Big Brook before with some interesting finds and wanted to know of potential additional locations to enjoy. Again thank you Jeffrey P and my other new paleo buddies Hemipristis and Vae70! I am look forward to posting my finds on my upcoming trip to big brook this coming week!