prep lab air upgrade

hadrosauridae

After rebuilding my prep station to accommodate working with my new microscope, the final part was to upgrade  my air delivery with a super-sized desiccant filter.  I was tired of changing out my desiccant beads 2 - 3 times a day during heavy use, so I made a DIY filter using a home water filter system.  Now instead of using 4 ounces of beads, I have 4 pounds!  That should finally give me a decent interval between changes. :heartylaugh:

drier.thumb.jpg.d3392778d214a99a0926e3a036851014.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Nice! Looks like it should work really well. I think I am going to need to upgrade my air compressor filter, as the one I have is very small, and it does not work amazingly. But it was really cheap, and I should not expect much from it.

-Micah

• Enjoyed 1

How do you know if a home water filter system will put up with 100 plus psi of air?  I would worry about it blowing up.  

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, jpc said:

How do you know if a home water filter system will put up with 100 plus psi of air?  I would worry about it blowing up.  

+1! I used to sell these water filters (30years ago) and some of them werent rated ( at least back then) for that kind of pressure. Please make sure your filter is rated for those kinds of pressure!

2 hours ago, jpc said:

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

+1! I used to sell these water filters (30years ago) and some of them werent rated ( at least back then) for that kind of pressure. Please make sure your filter is rated for those kinds of pressure!

I researched the company options before selecting.  Its made by Pentair and rated to 125psi which is more than my compressor can ever feed it

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin