My aquatic reptiles and amphibians collection

Mart1980

Took the time today to organize some of my collection of African, North American and European fossils in a display. It is a part of my collection in which I have mainly organized teeth. I concentrate my collection on aquatic reptiles and amphibians. although I have also included some flying reptiles because they fascinate me. Making all the labels was more work than expected. I think it turned out pretty well for a first draft.

20220525_003824.jpg

20220525_003834.jpg

20220525_003844.jpg

20220525_003849.jpg

20220525_003901.jpg

20220525_003909.jpg

20220525_003922.jpg

• Enjoyed 14

Very nice.

Would love to see close ups of these. :)

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I like the little figurines, I know they aren't fossils, but they look good. :)

• Enjoyed 1

One fossil a day will keep you happy all day:rolleyes:

Welcome to the FOSSIL ART

Thanks, i'm happy with it too. Displaying the fossils together with small figures makes it extra attractive.Thanks for the responses, I'm quite happy with the first result. Displaying the fossils together with small figures makes it extra attractive.

20220526_133336.jpg

20220526_133301.jpg

20220526_133415.jpg

20220526_134241.jpg

• Enjoyed 7

Looks nice! I love the combination of the different display cases and models.

• Enjoyed 1

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Very nice collection.  School children possessing the proper temperament and level of respect to be trusted around such things, could have their minds blown by seeing such a concentration of specimens.  It could awaken the desire to take such a path of wonder and appreciation, themselves.

• Enjoyed 1

Great display! I love it.

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

In the meantime on a rainy Saturday, the kids are working hard on there local museum... copying daddy.

20220528_133002.jpg

20220528_133005.jpg

Edited by Mart1980

1 hour ago, Mart1980 said:

In the meantime on a rainy Saturday, the kids are working hard on there local museum... copying daddy.

20220528_133002.jpg

20220528_133005.jpg

Your photos don't seem to be attached.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oke again some pictures of the kids museum.

20220528_133002.jpg

20220528_133005.jpg

Edited by Mart1980
  • Enjoyed 3

• 3 months later...

Find a local paleo society to join. They love to help kids.

Also, hand lenses work much better if you put them close to your eye and then bring the object close to the lens. Consider a lanyard for the lens; I kept mine for decades that way.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

23 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Find a local paleo society to join. They love to help kids.

Also, hand lenses work much better if you put them close to your eye and then bring the object close to the lens. Consider a lanyard for the lens; I kept mine for decades that way.

It's a girl... I tell her 100 times how best to use the lens. But stubborn, this works better :DOH:

I'm already satisfied but her curiosity!

• 3 weeks later...

Today I made a photo collage of some amphibians from my collection. It contains Nuominerpeton aquilonaris, Jeholotriton paradoxus, Sclerocephalus haeuseri, Micromelerpeton credneri, Apateon pedestris, Chelotriton paradoxus and Discosauriscus pulcherrimus. Next week I will receive museum glass UV99% to keep out harmful UV light and then make labels to finish it all off. I will share the final result.

20220918_171746.jpg

20220918_171655.jpg

Edited by Mart1980
  • Enjoyed 5

Received my museum glass today. 99% UV resistant and a very high degree of anti-reflection due to special coating. Very happy with it, see the difference. On the left is normal glass, on the right the museum glass. Stand right in front of it and really no reflection at all.

The glass is so clear that you can't see that there is glass in it. This way I can show my fossils and they are still optimally protected. Can definitely recommend it.

20220920_183358.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

The wall frames are sooo beautiful!

Is the big isolated tooth below the plesiosaur model a Tylosaurus? I'm curious about its locality!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 4:12 AM, Macrophyseter said:

The wall frames are sooo beautiful!

Is the big isolated tooth below the plesiosaur model a Tylosaurus? I'm curious about its locality!

@Macrophyseter Sorry for the late reply. I hadn't seen the question. Yes it is a Tylosaurus tooth. It comes from Ouled abdoun basin, Khouribga, Morocco.

Thanks for the compliment. I am also still very happy with the frames every day. These hang in the hallway to our living room. Every visitor passes by, since then I have been able to interest many people in fossils and explain our beautiful hobby.

Today it was time to dust off my display and used this moment to reorganize my display. Duplicate items have been removed and many pieces have been cleaned up to make room for part of my sea urchin collection. In addition to aquatic reptiles and amphibians, I also collect sea urchins, mostly from the Cretaceous period. Especially from the Belenlux, the German border region (where I live near) and Northern France. Sometimes also a few from regions where I have been on holiday and searched for fossils. From aquatic reptiles and amphibians I have a worldwide collection of mostly teeth and jaw parts. But from my sea urchins I stick to local items, precisely because they can still be found myself and appeal to it because I know the areas well.

That is why a place in my limited display should not be missing for sea urchins. I am chronically short of space in this display, which is why a lot is in drawers. But still happy that I managed to present some pieces. Now I can look at it every day when I'm in my office.

20221210_172455.jpg

20221210_172516.jpg

Edited by Mart1980
  • Enjoyed 1