What Would You Do? Cracked Fossil

Lucid_Bot

Hi! I'm looking for advice. I found this fossil yesterday and like so many others I find it's on an unstable piece and has a major crack through it. I'd hate to coat it with anything as I prefer to keep things natural. Yet I'm also worried that it might just fall apart on its own or from handling. What's my best course of action? Any advice/help  is appreciated.

1150.jpeg

1152.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

From my beginners perspective, I have done this a few times on ferns that flaked for me. Make a dilute solution of a consolidant. Then tip the plate and drip it into the upper left corner where the crack begins.. The solution should wick into the deeper loosened areas. Can try it on the opposite side too. After finished, clean up any liquid visible with acetone. Press firmly together while it dries.  Then add multiple layers of a consolidant to the BACK of the piece, if it is thin and unstable to provide even little more strength. 

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

If it were mine, I would be wicking a very thin cyanoacrylate on the edges of the crack (ensuring all areas were absolutely clean first). With superglue, less is more, so I would be applying very sparingly. For added support, I might consider using a consolidant like paraloid to be applied on the back of the piece to lend it additional support.

EDIT: Looks like Mike beat me to it!

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Exactly the same thing I'd do, and have done with success on various occasions ;)

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I agree but would add that a backing board like 1/4" MDF /Plywood (if available in Pluto) would support it going forward.  Easy to cut..

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I agree but would add that a backing board like 1/4" MDF /Plywood (if available in Pluto) would support it going forward.  Easy to cut..

Fiber glass is supposedly another frequently used material, which I've seen used (a lot more unobtrusive than wood backing), but never worked with myself...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

We import it. (No trees here.)

Can't say more than the others, but, what a beautiful fossil! :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

21 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Can't say more than the others, but, what a beautiful fossil! :)

Thanks. I was blown away when I split it. It's one of my "bushiest" fern leaves.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 3:44 AM, Lucid_Bot said:

Hi! I'm looking for advice. I found this fossil yesterday and like so many others I find it's on an unstable piece and has a major crack through it. I'd hate to coat it with anything as I prefer to keep things natural. Yet I'm also worried that it might just fall apart on its own or from handling. What's my best course of action? Any advice/help  is appreciated.

1150.jpeg

1152.jpeg

I'm a beginner but I started laminating a few of my green river slabs before prepping them and it's helped a lot with cracking or breakage. Epoxy the two broken pieces together and then epoxy an exact cut out of 1/4-1/2 good plywood to the backside of the fossil plate. I haven't perfected this technique, a few of my more uneven slabs have ended up laminating well but they became pretty heavy from epoxy filling the gaps! All natural is the best of course, but some slabs are just so fragile and it's a heartbreaker when they crack.