Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Let's show off pieces of our collections, with a twist: Every person who posts a piece posts one that is 1 geologic time period younger than the last.

Example: If a Jurassic crustacean is posted, the next post needs to be something from the Cretaceous, and so on.

Starting from the Cambrian going all the way to the Pleistocene (Cenezoic time periods will be divided into the epochs, since they're more commonly referenced), and looping back to the Cambrian after someone posts something from the Pleistocene. Let's see how long we can keep the descending order going!

I'll start with a Barrandagnostus inexpectens agnostid plate with other trilo-bits on a Cambrian shale slab from the Conasauga Formation:

20210501_0357222.thumb.jpg.19125e06e6beef7e8b8b0ba169fe7c43.jpg20210501_0356362.thumb.jpg.f52d73e4e153f37c25155a3da1b70419.jpg20210501_0358122.thumb.jpg.30e4931478e907e9b802f7d47d811dc9.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 13

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

You should have started with the Ediacaran! 

Still, here's an Ordovician Vinlandostrophia acuminata. from Bon Well Hill, Indiana.

V.acuminata.jpg.b656410b226d59524cf5647edad37744.jpg

V.acuminata1.jpg.e1a90db0393fad17ea1a07ef1011ab3a.jpg

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Enjoyed 13

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

My plate of Rielaspis that I love dearly. Silurian. Found by me, prepared by the excellent Malcolm.

F846D1EA-C14C-4C3E-B620-2C967E4A6825.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 20

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You should have started with the Ediacaran! 

Still, here's an Ordovician Vinlandostrophia acuminata. from Bon Well Hill, Indiana.

I think the main thing that went into it is I'm not sure I know that many Ediacaran exposures people have collected at, at least who aren't full-blown paleontologists. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong though!

• I Agree 1

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

After the Silurian would be the Devonian so here are some encrusting Aulopora sp. corals on a rugose coral from the Devonian (Frasnian) Lime Creek Formation of Iowa. 

RFD200929001-EDOF-9.9x.jpg 

I assume we're using the GSA time scale https://www.geosociety.org/documents/gsa/timescale/timescl.pdf so the next is either the Carboniferous or the Mississippian. Since its the product of a committee (try to appease the most people while offending the least), I suppose either are valid. As far as I can tell, the GSA supports the Carboniferous as a period or also the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian. You basically can't lose. 

I feel @MeargleSchmeargl's signature quote is most apropos... dun dun dun. Will the next post be from the Carboniferous? Will it be from the Mississippian? Stay tuned to find out.

Edited by Crusty_Crab
Misspelled Aulopora as Alopora
  • Enjoyed 10

Grypania spiralis is an extremely old macrofossil that predates the Ediacaran by more than a billion years. It was initially dated at 2.1 billion years old. Improved dating methodology gives a more precise age: 1874 ± 9 Ma. This example from my collection is highly unusual having Grypania scattered all over the surface with the filaments raised in 3-D relief. This type of preservation is very rare in these specimens.

image.png.d37518343330f6aa34518202b515efe3.png

Schneider, D.A., Bickford, M.E., Cannon, W.F., Schulz, K.J., Hamilton, M.A. 2002

Age of Volcanic Rocks and Syndepositional Iron Formations, Marquette Range Supergroup:

Implications for the Tectonic Setting of Paleoproterozoic Iron Formations of the Lake Superior Region.

Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 39(6):999-1012  PDF LINK

Han, T.M., Runnegar, B. 1992
Megascopic Eukaryotic Algae from the 2.1-Billion-Year-Old Negaunee Iron-Formation, Michigan.
Science, 257:232-235
  • I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

welll....this is Pennsylvanian, so if I am jumping the time gun, ah well. I don't have any Mississippian but Pennsylvanian IS Carboniferous.....

Nautiloid Brachycycloceras sp.

Finis Shale Texas

1463704682_NautiloidBrachycyclocerasJacksboro(2).thumb.JPG.d75fc4795d9776225d1b1dbd674b63d2.JPG

• Enjoyed 12

I will slip this Mississippian crinoid in to fill the gap. Burlington Limestone, Iowa

DSC_0281-001.thumb.JPG.9d997ec25ac3e04325a57f2b983cbf8c.JPG

• Enjoyed 13

Well, now that Franz has taken us to the Early Triassic, I'll take us into the Late Triassic with the Encrinus liliiformis crinoid from the socalled Obere-Muschelkalk from Alverdissen in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

C57a.thumb.jpg.df329f1deb7cbc28e2dd49a62d706fa9.jpg

• Enjoyed 14

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Come on, come on, let the game rolling! Jurassic, there must be a pic of something dead that long time out there ;).

I don´t like to post a few crinoid bits from "Fludergraben Marble" ;)...

Franz Bernhard

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Come on, come on, let the game rolling! Jurassic, there must be a pic of something dead that long time out there ;).

I don´t like to post a few crinoid bits from "Fludergraben Marble" ;)...

Franz Bernhard

Ok, ok. Since the Jurassic is my specialty, I'll start things off for us, but then I'll try to hold myself back. I'll start at the "bottom" chronologically, so to speak, with an ammonite out of the Hettangium from Frick in Switzerland. A Caloceras cf. bloomfieldense. Then there are still 10 more Jurassic Stages to cover here, so let's see if we can manage that.

A1578a.thumb.jpg.1a4c8250fda6deab8ebaefddac29316b.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

Thanks, @Ludwigia!

Yeah, good to have more in petto for the next rounds ;).

Cretaceous:

HS_Roemaskogel_58_AprilMai_2022_kompr.thumb.jpg.de16fd19e1e3c97fe07f795dca99a96a.jpg

Next period will be Paleogene!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 3

I don´t have a Paleogene fossil, because they are super-rare ;). But I think, there could be one or two out there, somewhere:headscratch:;)?
Franz Bernhard

I don't have any Paleocene fossils but I do have Eocene, which is next, so can I just jump ahead and put an Eocene one? If so, HERE IT IS! If not...well. Forgive me for jumping the time gun....again.

Echinoid Protoscutella mississippiensis

1244405026_wEchinoidProtoscutellamississippiensis.thumb.JPG.5d652d2979a55786e6a157aad21723b3.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

2 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

so can I just jump ahead and put an Eocene one?

Yeah, I guess I should add that if it's an age (period/epoch, excuse the confusion) pretty much nobody's got anything from we can skip it for now.

Edited by MeargleSchmeargl
Clarification

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah, I guess I should add that if it's an age pretty much nobody's got anything from we can skip it for now.

This is getting a little confusing. Are you meaning that the steps should go by Period (System), Series (Epoch) or Stage (Age)?

Here you go for Paleocene: :plant:

Ginkgo wyomingensis - Sentinel Butte Formation - North Dakota

Most commonly known as Ginkgo adiantoides until Zhou et al. 2012 reclassified it as Ginkgo cranei.  However, Manchester 2014 has pointed out that Ginkgo wyomingensis  Manum 1966 has priority. Hopefully, an upcoming publication will address the oversight in synonymy (pers. comm. Manchester 2021).

image.png.eed038a26c87acedac3304cd354ed240.png

image.png.1e4d0d84faa8579807fcd53523ebaf47.png

Manchester, S.R. 2014
Revisions to Roland Brown's North American Paleocene Flora.
Sborník Národního Muzea v Praze - Řada B, 70(3-4):153-210  PDF LINK

Manum, S.B. 1966
Ginkgo spitsbergensis n. sp. from the Paleocene of Spitsbergen and a Discussion of Certain Tertiary Species of Ginkgo from Europe and North America.
Norsk Polarinstitutt Årbok, 1965:49-58  PDF LINK

Zhou, Z., Quan, C., Liu, Y.S. 2012

Tertiary Ginkgo Ovulate Organs with Associated Leaves from North Dakota, USA, and their Evolutionary Significance.

International Journal of Plant Sciences, 173(1):67-80  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

34 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

This is getting a little confusing. Are you meaning that the steps should go by Period (System), Series (Epoch) or Stage (Age)?

Oh, I was just using age as a blanket term there. Sorry if I was confusing there.

1 hour ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Oh, I was just using age as a blanket term there. Sorry if I was confusing there.

So what do you actually mean us to follow chronologically? In terms of chronostratigraphy, an Age is not a blanket term but is a synonym for a Stage, such as the Hettangian of the Lower (Series or Epoch) Jurassic ( Period or System). Are you familiar with this?

48 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

So what do you actually mean us to follow chronologically? In terms of chronostratigraphy, an Age is not a blanket term but is a synonym for a Stage, such as the Hettangian of the Lower (Series or Epoch) Jurassic ( Period or System). Are you familiar with this?

Yeah, I'm familiar with smaller divisions. What I originally said was from the Cambrian through the Cretaceous we'd go by period, and from Cretaceous onward we'd go by Epoch, as those are the divisions in time that are most often referred to (for simplicity's sake).

24 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with smaller divisions. What I originally said was from the Cambrian through the Cretaceous we'd go by period, and from Cretaceous onward we'd go by Epoch, as those are the divisions in time that are most often referred to (for simplicity's sake).

Gotcha! So I'll add one from the Oligocene now to keep things going. A Coeloma sp. crab from the Danish Limfjord.

D6a.2.thumb.jpg.98109d4e3430cf1206dd6fe95abf767e.jpg

• Enjoyed 8
  • Thank You 2

Paleogene is covered up ;)?

Miocene:

Athleta rarispina / Length 38 mm / Höllerkogel-18, St. Josef, Styria / Florianer Schichten, Styrian Basin / Langhian / found 11/13/2016 / Nr. 2865

AthletaRarispina_Hoellerkogel18_2865_Laenge38_Durchm26mm_4Seiten.thumb.jpg.188f164d7b8a0440e14e063c846cacc8.jpg

Next will be Pliocene?
Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 5