Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

Wonderful !

Coco

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Kimberella Quadrata - Ediacaran

White Sea Region

*corrected word use “Formation” to “Region”

B9F88FA2-0837-435B-A515-87D7051BEE48.thumb.jpeg.b81df085e30d863a093192e8ae4f101b.jpeg

Edited by PR0GRAM
  • Enjoyed 8

7 hours ago, PR0GRAM said:

Kimberella Quadrata - Ediacaran

White Sea FormationB9F88FA2-0837-435B-A515-87D7051BEE48.thumb.jpeg.b81df085e30d863a093192e8ae4f101b.jpeg

Very nice! I've recently been wanting to get a good Ediacaran, either Dickinsonia or Kimberella. Tribrachidium probably a bit too pricey for me at this point.

@Paleorunner Very nice gastropods, I especially like that Strombus, such a clean and detailed specimen!

@Ludwigia Amusing for sure, what are those patterns on the shell? Are they native or traces of some epifauna?

@siteseer That oligocene Dapalis fish and leaf plate looks great. The fish looks like it was just recently dried!

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Thank You 1

For the Cambrian, a 1.5 cm section of radiodont grasping appendage from Yunnan, China. It was sold as "Anomalocaris" and exhibits clear preservation of the ventral spines as well as those spines' auxilliary spines. To me it bears at least some superficial resemblance to "Anomalocaris" kunmingensis (https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Anomalocaris-kunmingensis-sp-nov-from-the-Guanshan-biota-Yunnan-China-a_fig2_257689210), which I've been informed on this forum has recently been described as possibly a member of Amplectobeluidae rather than Anomalocarididae, but currently its assignment seems inconclusive. But who knows if this specimen is even A. kunmingensis. In any case, a very nice fossil in my opinion with beautiful preservation and coloration. Just wish I had a better camera than my phone.

EDBF63C5-BD6D-44EA-BF3F-1CEB3AE1EE03.thumb.jpeg.ea8d8f8893e9f6e9fd4ae17195a8c882.jpeg8565EE57-2A10-45B2-BB46-6E26212E7757.thumb.jpeg.d1c8d78c227bb521ba8f35fd96c87941.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 5

1 hour ago, Mochaccino said:

Amusing for sure, what are those patterns on the shell? Are they native or traces of some epifauna?

Native.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

The graptolites Diplograptus sp. (vertical) and Monograptus sp. (horizontal) from the Early Silurian Llandoveryium at Coal Pit Bay, Northern Ireland.

Gr6aa.thumb.JPG.8381e7bdd7522ab20b9c9b3837c77a3e.JPG

• Enjoyed 6

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Harpex perradiatus. Eifelian Devonian.
Hamar Laghdad - Morocco.

IMG_20220717_103617056.thumb.jpg.a2018699ae120a021274edc5ce3cfa19.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 6

Neat thread. I’ll jump in. :)

Pentaramicrinus sp.

Carboniferous (Mississippian) 

Bangor Limestone- Alabama, U.S.A.

DA06E477-70F2-426B-A2C8-0D126DA7D2A5.thumb.jpeg.677d0e7610da59540f47015eac5199cc.jpeg

• Enjoyed 7

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Adelophthalmus sp.

Wyandotte Formation, Pennsylvanian

Johnson County, Kansas, USA

Adelophthalmus-close-up.jpg.95511afe67f8b64e2ed92621dae6de57.thumb.jpg.e9d85d2d4c4b9fcb9b03e0d510cf5824.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Context is critical.

I can pop in with this unidentified amphibian toe bone from the Early Permian of a site in Clay County, Texas.  It's about 9mm long.

amphib_toe.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

On 6/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

Wow.. you actually have an Eryops claw. I still remember my Eryops Wildlife Treasury Card (or was it DinoCardz?). It still blows my mind that you can go out, find and own a piece of the real thing. 

Yes, there was an Eryops card in the Dinocardz (1992) set.

Here's a crocodile osteoderm from the late Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation, Dawson County, Montana.  It's just over 2 inches long. 

It was collected by a member of the Franklin family who used to sell at Tucson in the 80's and 90's.  I was sorry to hear that the husband and wife (Harold and Delma) had since passed away when I met their son several years ago.  He was selling some of their leftover specimens.  Great people.

croc_osteo.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

This is a tooth of the species, Sphenodus lundgreni, one of the largest sharks of the Early Paleocene (the first few million years after the end-Cretaceous extinction that ended or thinned out many lineages of organisms, including sharks).  Sphenodus is a genus assigned to the extinct order, Synechodontiformes.  It has an odd chronologic range, appearing during the Jurassic and dying out by the end of the Paleocene.

S. lundgreni is one of the largest, if not the largest, species of the genus.  This tooth comes from an Early Paleocene site near Volgograd, Russia and has a crown height of 25mm.

sphen1a.jpg

sphen1b.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Upper molar of Archaeotherium, an entelodont, from the Early Oligocene Brule Formation of Pennington County, South Dakota.  Entelodonts were pig-like in appearance and were related to pigs and peccaries.  Archaeotherium is known from the Late Eocene to the end of the Oligocene.  

The crown is about 10mm high, 27mm along the side of the jaw and about 27mm from the end of the root lobe to the top of the crown.

archaeoth1b.jpg

archaeoth1a.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

Here's a specimen that was misidentified by a fossil dealer who listed it as Aleurodon.  It's actually an upper molar of Amphicyon, a large carnivoran of an extinct family, Amphicyonidae.  The wear on the tooth shows that the animal ate not only flesh but also bones.  It measures 27mm x 21mm.

Amphicyon sp.

Early Miocene

Suwannee River, Florida

amphi_upper.jpg

amphi_upper2.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

OK, my turn. Something from the Ediacaran Doushantuo Fm of Guizhou, China. It might be Longfengshania elongata (alga).

396013442_Doushantuothing.thumb.jpg.652bfe0ae6dfc0b08b9b067a5348e583.jpg

• Enjoyed 6