Show Us Your Fossils Challenge Mode: Ordered By Geologic Time Period!

MeargleSchmeargl

A thin section of Devonian Rhynie Chert from Rhynie, Scotland. It is of the plant Aglaophyton major with Palaeomyces gordoni fungal cysts. Vascular tissue of the plants can also be seen. PXL_20220609_233307024.thumb.jpg.50dc662bea92679659fde2ce512f997b.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

14 minutes ago, Mochaccino said:

For the Silurian, a Bumastus ioxus trilobite from the Rochester Shale of Middleport, New York, USA.

56B0B203-65A9-498D-804F-23551A399698.thumb.jpeg.824cf2f527c4bafc0181fe0943dc48ba.jpeg

Holloway 2021 has recently reclassified Bumastus ioxus  as a junior synonym of Bumastus barriensis.

Remarks: Historically widely reported both stratigraphically and geographically, Bumastus was restricted by Holloway & Lane (1998: 872) to three named species in addition to the type; one of those species, B. ioxus (Hall, 1867) is a junior subjective synonym of B. barriensis (see following remarks on that species). The genus has a stratigraphic range of Wenlock to possibly Ludlow and a geographical distribution in eastern and central North America (Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, Ontario, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma) and the Welsh Borderlands of England.

‘Illaenus’ ioxus was proposed by Hall (1867: 378) for specimens from the Racine Formation of Wisconsin that in the first half of the same paper (p. 332), printed a couple of years before the remainder, he assigned to ‘Illaenus (Bumastus)’ barriensis. Also assigned to the new species were specimens he had earlier (Hall 1843; Hall 1852) identified as barriensis, from the Rochester Formation (Sheinwoodian) of New York. Hall (1867) recorded ioxus in Wisconsin from ‘Racine, Waukesha, Wauwatosa, and other places’.

I can identify no significant morphological differences between the Wisconsin and British specimens, and consequently regard B. ioxus as a junior synonym of B. barriensis. I have not examined any specimens of the Bumastus species attributed to B. ioxus from the Rochester Formation, and the specimens illustrated have all been crushed (e.g. Levi-Setti 1975: pl. 77; Levi-Setti 1993: pl. 171; Whiteley et al. 2002: pl. 11; Lawrance & Stammers 2014: fig. on p. 356). Weller (1907: 223) suggested that they are not conspecific with the specimens from Wisconsin; however, like Raymond (1916: 21), I can see no evidence to support this view, and hence I assign the Rochester Formation specimens also to B. barriensis.

text from:

Holloway, D.J. 2021

Middle Silurian Trilobites from Arkansas and Oklahoma, USA. Order Corynexochida.

Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 319(1-6):1-55

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Peripristis (probably P. semicircularis) tooth from the late Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) Doniphan Shale, Dennis Limestone Member, of Sarpy County Nebraska.  It's about 7/8 inches high and just over a half inch wide. 

The label in the photo is the one I made in the early 90's when I received the tooth in a trade from a collector in Nebraska.  I vaguely recall these teeth were identified as Ctenoptychius at the time but it might have been my mistake).

periprist1a.png

periprist1b.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 10

8 hours ago, piranha said:

Holloway 2021 has recently reclassified Bumastus ioxus  as a junior synonym of Bumastus barriensis.

Remarks: Historically widely reported both stratigraphically and geographically, Bumastus was restricted by Holloway & Lane (1998: 872) to three named species in addition to the type; one of those species, B. ioxus (Hall, 1867) is a junior subjective synonym of B. barriensis (see following remarks on that species). The genus has a stratigraphic range of Wenlock to possibly Ludlow and a geographical distribution in eastern and central North America (Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, Ontario, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma) and the Welsh Borderlands of England.

‘Illaenus’ ioxus was proposed by Hall (1867: 378) for specimens from the Racine Formation of Wisconsin that in the first half of the same paper (p. 332), printed a couple of years before the remainder, he assigned to ‘Illaenus (Bumastus)’ barriensis. Also assigned to the new species were specimens he had earlier (Hall 1843; Hall 1852) identified as barriensis, from the Rochester Formation (Sheinwoodian) of New York. Hall (1867) recorded ioxus in Wisconsin from ‘Racine, Waukesha, Wauwatosa, and other places’.

I can identify no significant morphological differences between the Wisconsin and British specimens, and consequently regard B. ioxus as a junior synonym of B. barriensis. I have not examined any specimens of the Bumastus species attributed to B. ioxus from the Rochester Formation, and the specimens illustrated have all been crushed (e.g. Levi-Setti 1975: pl. 77; Levi-Setti 1993: pl. 171; Whiteley et al. 2002: pl. 11; Lawrance & Stammers 2014: fig. on p. 356). Weller (1907: 223) suggested that they are not conspecific with the specimens from Wisconsin; however, like Raymond (1916: 21), I can see no evidence to support this view, and hence I assign the Rochester Formation specimens also to B. barriensis.

text from:

Holloway, D.J. 2021

Middle Silurian Trilobites from Arkansas and Oklahoma, USA. Order Corynexochida.

Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 319(1-6):1-55

Oh I had no idea, and that's quite recent too. Is this a generally widely accepted change or still contested?

On 8/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, Mochaccino said:

Oh I had no idea, and that's quite recent too. Is this a generally widely accepted change or still contested?

Yes, this revision is widely accepted. Although anything can certainly be contested by a subsequent researcher. In this case however, I doubt there will ever be any serious challenge on this taxon. This well-reasoned taxonomic change was obviously long overdue, as are numerous other antiquated taxa, patiently awaiting a similar tidying up treatment. From a series of three monographs (40 years in the making) on the St. Clair Limestone trilobites.....with great thanks to the dedication of tireless trilobite workers like David Holloway. happy0144.gif

Holloway, D.J. 1980
Middle Silurian Trilobites from Arkansas and Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Palaeontographica Abteilung A 170:1-85

Holloway, D.J. 2021
Palaeontographica Abteilung A 319:1-55

Holloway, D.J. 2021
Middle Silurian Trilobites from Arkansas and Oklahoma, USA. Orders Lichida and Odontopleurida.
Palaeontographica Abteilung A 319:57-131

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

13 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Deltoblastus sp. from the Permian Maubisse Formation on Timor, Indonesia.

Bl.2.thumb.JPG.a34426669eee149fb56b1f1a93c5b575.JPG

Now those are beautiful! :wub::b_love1:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

A tooth of a Phytosaur hatchling, from the Upper Triassic Bull Canyon Formation of New Mexico. 

PXL_20220527_195756711.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 6

Can I post both a Jurassic and Cretaceous? Since I can't seem to catch the Cretaceous when it comes around!! I'm Hogging BOTH time periods!!

Some Jurassic Starfish ossicles - Weymouth UK

408165181_StarfishcJurassic(3).thumb.jpg.af7de522174f76b441b334e575f73d76.jpg

367964886_StarfishJurassic(5).thumb.jpg.ffa07e78351fef91c0242c8204fa43de.jpg

• Enjoyed 8

An archaeocete incisor perhaps belonging to Zygorhiza.  It's Middle Eocene, Santee Formation, from the Blue Circle Quarry, Harleyville, South Carolina.  It's about 3 1/2 inches from top to root break - a little longer if you measure along the curve.  I've was once told that the formation is actually the Tupalo Bay Formation but haven't heard anyone else confirm nor question that.  A few years ago, it was said that the mine no longer allows fossil collecting.

arch_cete1a.jpg

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 8

Something very simple but quite well preserved from the Miocene "Florianer Schichten" of the Styrian Basin, Austria:

FSinum_OisnitzSE3_3225_Breite9mm_mitText.thumb.jpg.19145308942dcd7e41437ff442f52f30.jpg

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 9

And for the Pliocene this giant Triplofusus of 34 ctms.
Sarasota - Florida - USA

IMG_20220805_144627462.thumb.jpg.df3fd356465b4185fee849bde1443f93.jpg

• Enjoyed 9

A Pleistocene Ursus spelaeus bone from the Carpathian Mountains of Romania. 

PXL_20220805_130551271.jpg

Edited by Pleuromya
  • Enjoyed 7

The bryozoa Hemiphragma ottawaense from the Late Ordovician Katian Verulam Formation at James Dick Quarry in Gamebridge, Ontario. A site which is unfortunately now closed to the collecting public.

Br34.1.thumb.jpg.bd55cb5cf3a6c8f45e55a0ce2a3e25d2.jpg

• Enjoyed 10

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Loganellia scotica, a jawless fish. Silurian, Upper Llandovery, from the Patrick Burn Formation of Scotland. 

PXL_20220805_152157051.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

5 hours ago, Pleuromya said:

A Pleistocene Ursus spelaeus bone from the Carpathian Mountains of Romania. 

PXL_20220805_130551271.jpg

That is an astragulus (one of the bones that form the ankle).

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, siteseer said:

That is an astragulus (one of the bones that form the ankle).

Thank you. :)