Pterosaur material is always something I’m interested in adding to my collection through purchases, so this following piece is something that’s been on my wishlist for a while now. The seller labels this fossil an Alcione humerus from the Khouribga phosphates in Morocco, which seems reasonable to me as the bone compares well to the genus’ holotype. But because this wouldn’t be a cheap purchase and because of the questionable authenticity of many Moroccan fossils, I thought it would be wise to see if there are any red flags with this bone.

F46657B1-26CD-4831-BEC1-85007284BD8F.thumb.jpeg.696cc8250ad461b56794f4c3764a126c.jpeg

Specifically, I’m wondering if this humerus might be composited, as there’s a section in the middle of the bone that appears as though two non associated pieces may have been melded together, though I’m not completely sure as this could of course also just be regular erosion and stress. The fact that this bone has been prepared on a neatly rounded piece of matrix also makes me a little bit weary for some reason. I have bad experience with composited or even outright faked Moroccan fossils, hence why I’m being very careful.

Many thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Similar bone discussed in this topic.  Check out the detail with msantix specimen especially with the lateral condyle that appears lacking on yours. 

Two more published specimens.  The long section in your specimen again lacks any detail.  So its indeed a red flag.   Also have a similar concern on the matrix since difficult to determine with that image if the humerus was placed on it.  Looks suspicious.

Alcione_right_humerus.thumb.png.7ecc3b3c574ec0e7ff05ee41bf568731.png

Screenshot_20220526-174555_Chrome.jpg.1b1ca88afa8167b58e2a48d310d5cab5.jpg

• I found this Informative 3