Is this a megalodon tooth?

LMCheney

I bought this from a general collectables re-seller.  It was listed as a megalodon and is definitely a fossil, but I'm not certain of the id as the seller was not an expert and neither am I and there was no additional info provided.  It was quite cheap so I won't be heartbroken if it's more recent or not a shark at all.  It's about 54mm across and 50mm long.  There may have been fine serrations along the edge that have been worn smooth.

P1030108.JPG

P1030109.JPG

P1030110.JPG

P1030111.JPG

P1030112.JPG

P1030113.JPG

The shape seems a little odd for Meg but I am NOT a shark guy. I’m sure an expert here will tell you exactly what it is!

This tooth is quite worn but has enough features remaining to at least narrow down the possibilities. I believe you are correct when you say you think it had serrations that are worn down. The root is quite a bit wider than the crown which indicates this tooth once had cusplets. I also see faint remnants of the bourlette, the thin dental band present in megs and their relatives where the crown meets the root. This tooth is a meg ancestor, either an auriculatus from the Eocene or an angustidens from the Oligocene. So yes, this is a shark tooth, and it is older, not younger, than megalodon.