Petrified wood

Mart1980

While on vacation in Utah USA, a family member bought some fossils in a shop that were supposed to be petrified wood. Unfortunately, she has not received any further information with the documents. Is there anything more to say about these pieces? Or is this something else? They go to a primary school when it comes to wood material so any bit of information would be nice for the kids. Scale in centimeters. 

20220527_180817.jpg

20220527_180830.jpg

20220527_180839.jpg

20220527_180850.jpg

20220527_180851.jpg

20220527_180859.jpg

20220527_180917.jpg

20220527_180925.jpg

20220527_180927.jpg

No wood pattern or texture visible. The weathering pattern of fine rills suggests that the rock is a carbonate such as limestone or dolomite. Does the rock fizz in pool acid? How hard are the rocks; does a metal knife scratch them?

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The stone is very hard. doesn't look like limestone to me. A few more photos to clarify.

20220527_200858.jpg

20220527_200910.jpg

20220527_200926.jpg

Can you scratch it with a steel knife blade?

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

4 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can you scratch it with a steel knife blade?

No not very easy

Looks more like some sort of infilled burrow or root cast, than petrified wood, to me.  :unsure:

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, HuckMucus said:

baculite?

I think HucMucus got this one right.  The weird texture is weathering.  I have seen this sort of thing in my local baculite fields. 

12 minutes ago, jpc said:

I think HucMucus got this one right.  The weird texture is weathering.  I have seen this sort of thing in my local baculite fields. 

I don't see weathered suturing or septa on the breaks.... 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

19 minutes ago, jpc said:

What were the baculites with similar weathering made of, calcite?

One of the photos looks like a baculite I found on the upper Powder in WY.

c2a.thumb.jpg.c42ea4a703d7b14e9a275a9d29424f9c.jpg

20210127_163541.jpg

Edited by HuckMucus

Is there any siphuncle visible in them?

Transverse sections may help.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I see two comments above that are based on my call of baculites that are all the same-ish... septa?  siphuncle?  

This would be a weathered section of the living chamber, which has neither septa nor siphuncles.  The shell is all gone, of course, so it is a calcitic infill of the last segment.  These are common in any place where you get a lot of baculites.  The weathering is uncommon, but tubular non-septated, non-siphuncled pieces of baculite are common.  And I will admit, if the areas where I have found these weren't littered with septated and siphunculated pieces, it would be tougher to ID.  Trust me on this one, I have seen thousands, and collected hundreds.

I also have an ammonite from the Sahara that has similar weathering.  It happens this way on limey rocks.  Geologists have a word for it but I'll be boonswaggled if I can remember it.  

• I found this Informative 5

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, jpc said:

if the areas where I have found these weren't littered with septated and siphunculated pieces, it would be tougher to ID.

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

rillenstein.

Wow! One of those example you are at a loss without context!

Franz Bernhard

When I do comparative research I indeed come across Baculites fossils. Thanks for the direction. I would never have come here myself.

7 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

That it is! 

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library