Is this a real tooth?

Jumly

My husband went to an estate sale and came home with this "dinosaur tooth." The estate sale company didn't know anything about it, or where it came from. I'm not even sure it's real. Thoughts? Neither of us know much about this stuff, so thank you in advance for any insight!

20220527_105330.jpg

20220527_105343.jpg

20220527_105534.jpg

20220527_105413.jpg

Agree its a Tyrannosaurid tooth.  Is it real?  Does it have some weight or is it very light.  If you lightly/gently tap it does it ting?

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Agree its a Tyrannosaurid tooth.  Is it real?  Does it have some weight or is it very light.  If you lightly/gently tap it does it ting?

Thank you! It has some weight to it, but I don't know if that weight is coming from whatever the bottom is filled in with. When I tap on it, I'm not hearing anything resembling a "ting" sound though. What would a ting indicate?

Edited by Jumly

Thats good it has weight, unlikely its the matrix (sand) on the bottom unless a weight was added.    The bottom looks awfully flat, except on corner and smooth thats not typical on a break but the tooth looks real but?  Replicas are typically light and made up of some resin.  If you want to really be sure try a hot pin on the base and see if it melts.

It's a replica of a T. rex tooth held in the MOR collections - I have a replica of the same tooth (it also has sand glued to the bottom):

IMG_1886.thumb.jpg.37216f133d2b3182d6bf8add5dc7571f.jpg

IMG_1885.thumb.jpg.ca2b45000bfc5e4e40d1f27884886d26.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1 minute ago, ThePhysicist said:

It's a replica of a T. rex tooth held in the MOR collections - I have a replica of the same tooth (it also has sand glued to the bottom):

IMG_1886.thumb.jpg.37216f133d2b3182d6bf8add5dc7571f.jpg

IMG_1885.thumb.jpg.ca2b45000bfc5e4e40d1f27884886d26.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

Wow, yours is almost identical to ours! Mystery solved! Thank you everyone for the insight and guidance!

Same tooth, the base is very different so is the paint job, must have been casted by others.

I have kept my feet still, but was wondering for myself if there are some voids / air bubbles at the base of the OP´s tooth. The second example clearly has some.
Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1