Found While Hunting Indian Artifacts.

drdave514

Hi all, I was turned on to this forum through an Indian Artifact forum and figured this would be the group to ask about something I found over the weekend. It was in a creek that is known for fossils. I thought maybe it was a chunk off of a trilobite fossil but was completely unsure beyond that as a possibility. I picked up a piece of colonial tabecular coral not far from there last year so I know the area has some neat stuff. Any ID help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

post-3019-12699917937058_thumb.jpg

post-3019-12699918089364_thumb.jpg

good to see ya dr. dave!

Thanks buddy. Great link. Maybe we can get a connection between here and arrowheadology.com and anyone with Indian Artifact questions will have somewhere to go. Good luck getting some answers on your "rocks".

im not 100% convinced that it is a fossil, but if it is, it might be an impression of a phragmocone, or a straight shelled ammonoid. you can always post pics of your artifacts here too. alot of us hunt for them as well as fossils. :D

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem to have a curvature to it so I took curling type shells off my list but I didn't know they made straight shells. Maybe it is just a weird rock but the ridges are so uniform and tapering I thought it must be something.

Here are a few recent indian artifact finds. The first is a small blade I'm not quite sure about as everything in the area is early archaic but it appears newer than that. The second are two scrapers, the left one is a hafted scraper. The last is a broken point and a Tennessee River, which is also early archaic.

I have a decent collection but am just getting started on the hunting part.

Thanks again for the input.

post-3019-12699938174654_thumb.jpg

post-3019-12699938351569_thumb.jpg

post-3019-12699938557698_thumb.jpg

I can't tell if the two pictures are of the same piece or no; however, the first picture looks like many of the cephlopod pieces that I've found in creek beds. My guess is cephlopod. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&section=user&user=2411 He'res a link to my photo's here on the forum. I'm sure you'll find a few with resemblance..

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

nice points! i had a few tennessee river points in my collection as well as some stanfield's which are pretty close to tenn river points. here's a section of blade that i found last week fossil hunting. it's a sweet green chert that ive never seen before in nj.

DSCF4190.jpg

Cool artifacts!!

Green chert is really stunning looking!

Have to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm in New Jersey!!!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

you can always post pics of your artifacts here too. alot of us hunt for them as well as fossils. :D

you guys should join arrowheadology.com as well. It's the best one I have been a part of. All sorts of screaming points! I think it does kind of have a texas slant but people are joining everyday showing stuff from around the country.

you guys should join arrowheadology.com as well. It's the best one I have been a part of. All sorts of screaming points! I think it does kind of have a texas slant but people are joining everyday showing stuff from around the country.

i have them in my favorites, and i go on there quite a bit. nice stuff on there.

I can't tell if the two pictures are of the same piece or no; however, the first picture looks like many of the cephlopod pieces that I've found in creek beds. My guess is cephlopod. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&section=user&user=2411 He'res a link to my photo's here on the forum. I'm sure you'll find a few with resemblance..

Wow, there are a couple that are dead ringers for what I have. The two pics are of the same piece. The second one is from the side.

You led me to this http://louisvillefossils.blogspot.com/2009/03/silurian-cephalopod-dawsonceras-amycus.html

Thanks!

Nice piece and color there LordP

Edited by drdave514

Wow, there are a couple that are dead ringers for what I have. The two pics are of the same piece. The second one is from the side.

You led me to this http://louisvillefos...ras-amycus.html

Thanks!

Nice piece and color there LordP

You're welcome drdave. Thanks for the link!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.