Oyster bed in Mancos Shale at Gallup Hogback

kgbudge

I took a geology excursion a couple of weeks ago, and had the chance to explore the I-40 road cut through the Gallup Hogback east of Gallup, New Mexico. Rather to my surprise,  I came across a nice oyster horizon within the Mancos Shale.

DSCN6729.thumb.JPG.7be1f22e64f9b335ff6c0447e8028756.JPG

I realize the preservation is sketchy enough to make precise identification difficult. I'm wondering if these might be "baby" Inoceramus. I'll try to post some better pictures of samples I brought home later.

And, since I consider myself lucky if I even get the right phylum -- I suppose another possibility is ostracods.

• Enjoyed 2

5 hours ago, kgbudge said:

I'll try to post some better pictures of samples I brought home later.

Yes, please!
Franz Bernhard

Thanks!
Any chance for some measurements ;)?

At the moment, I am in the bivalve camp.
Franz Bernhard

Typical maximum size across an individual is about 8mm. The symmetry does suggest bivalves. Well-sorted bivalves, so to speak, so as I think about it I'm inclined to think these are adults of whatever species they are.

Setting is a thin shaly limestone bed (by thin I mean less than 2 cm) in what is otherwise a thick sequence of gray shale.The stratigraphy puts the fossils are on the top side of the bed.

• Thank You 1

We need some clearer photos of just a few of the best shells. I suspect they may be similar to forms found in Texas and may be IDed by some our Texas experts.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Looks very reminiscent of the shell hash in the Eagle Ford here. A USGS description of the formation implies that there are abundant pelecypods, and I assume they're referring to the hash with that. Perhaps that narrows it down

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

20 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

We need some clearer photos of just a few of the best shells. I suspect they may be similar to forms found in Texas and may be IDed by some our Texas experts.

Unfortunately, I simply don't have the camera equipment to easily do better. But I'll work at it a little and see what I can do.

9 minutes ago, kgbudge said:

Unfortunately, I simply don't have the camera equipment to easily do better. But I'll work at it a little and see what I can do.

Have you tried to put a hand lens/loupe in front of a phone camera lens to take a picture?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Maybe compare to the genus Nuculana...and Cardium...I've seen those in the Mancos.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg