Fossil Crinoid?

Rock Hound

Any idea what this specimen is?

(US Quarter is 24.26mm or 2.426cm)

It was gifted to me, without any location information.

20220529_221106_(1).jpg

Edited by Rock Hound

I am not a collector of crinoids, unless I find them while hunting, by this looks like a calyx of a Eucalypocrinites, a Silurian crinoid. I believe these are found in the Waldron Shale of St. Paul, Indiana. It also has a pygidium of a trilobite on it.

Edited by Nimravis
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Just letting you know that it isn't necessary to make a separate post for each picture, better to have them all together. :)

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I am not a collector of crinoids, unless I find them while hunting, by this looks like a calyx of a Eucalypocrinites, a Silurian crinoid. I believe these are found in the Waldron Shale of St. Paul, Indiana. It also has a pygidium of a trilobite on it.

Thank you so much, for your input.  It is a very cool little fossil, in my opinion.  The nicest Crinoid I've got, by a long shot.

4 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

Just letting you know that it isn't necessary to make a separate post for each picture, better to have them all together. :)

Thanks.  I'll try to remember, next time.

I agree, it seems like a very nice Waldron Shale Eucalyptocrinites crassus but the photos are terrible. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I agree, it seems like a very nice Waldron Shale Eucalyptocrinites crassus but the photos are terrible. :)

Android phone.  Sorry.....  I took probably 30 pictures, then cropped and posted the ones which were in focus best.  The phone was auto focusing itself.

Edited by Rock Hound

3 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

Android phone.  Sorry.....  I took probably 30 pictures, then cropped and posted the ones which were in focus best.  The phone was auto focusing itself.

If you back off some the photos will be in focus but you'll have more stuff in the photo other than the fossil. Crop the extra stuff out and, voila, in-focus and mostly crinoid. Try it -- it works. All the photos in my members' gallery album are shot with an iPhone 7. (Mark's Mazon Creek Fossils -- take a look and see what's possible.) 

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I have found many Crinoid Imprints through the years, but never anything to compare to this specimen.  Many thanks, for the responses to this thread.  I was a young kid when my father purchased this specimen, and I remember him showing it to me the day he purchased it at a Gem & Mineral show.

5 hours ago, Rock Hound said:

Never encountered on my Blackview android phone which is not the best.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

One more tip that may help with pictures, sometimes the background can throw off focus, try a plain background with no patterns.