North Sulfur River - May 30th

BudB

I mentioned in my last post that I would be going back to NSR today, taking my girlfriend for her first ever fossil hunting trip. As I suspected, we didn't find nearly as much as I did Friday, even though we ended up hiking even further up the river. But she got her fossil collection started by finding the prettiest ammonite I've seen at NSR, and we had a fun time at the river. We were the first vehicle in the parking lot this morning, but there were lots of folks in the river when we left.

nsr00824.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

And here is her ammonite she found. It was embedded in red zone rock, and I was really surprised when I was able to chisel and get it to pop out in one piece. That never works for me at NSR.

nsr00822.jpg

nsr00821.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 6

My best find of the day was this piece of a broken tooth. Is it mosasaur or plesiosaur?

nsr00823.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

You were bested, Bud.  :D  Congratulate her on a very nice Trachyscaphites spiniger.

• Enjoyed 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

13 hours ago, JohnJ said:

You were bested, Bud.  :D  Congratulate her on a very nice Trachyscaphites spiniger.

Hey, I'm not going to complain. I was afraid that we would make that long drive, and make that long hike, and she would find nothing. She's been especially fascinated with the ammonites I've brought home ever since I've been hunting, so I think it's pretty awesome that she found a beauty like that on her first trip.

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1