Found in Texas this morning. Palate? Teeth?

Story69

Hello, everyone - I found this in a creek in Texas this morning. Initially I thought it was a large tooth, but on closer inspection, it seems like it might be a fossilized palate? With three rows of small teeth? Very odd, but I'm sure one of you will have a simple answer. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Specifics: Solid rock. Seems to be fossilized. Not a modern bone. 6.75" "Long", 3.25" "Wide" and 1.5" "Thick."

In this particular creek I've found several Mosasaur (or marine reptile of some sort) vertebrae. Modern bones. Two arrowheads and a spear point. A rock fishing net weight. And innumerable Exogyra fossils. Lots of smaller, fossilized  "snail" shells and clams. Nautilus chambers and small pieces of (and whole) Ammonites.

IMG_6010.jpg

IMG_6011.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

• Enjoyed 4

You've got a good creek there!  The thing you've presented is a fragment of a mammoth tooth -- three of the unworn enamel plates.

mammoth_tooth_plate_C.JPG.d121f9b01865cf6c248576679135c862.JPGmammoth_woolly_tooth.thumb.JPG.4e3e0136b99161eab71900337d26ec6a.JPG

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• JohnJ changed the title to Found in Texas this morning. Palate? Teeth?