Enzymes used by T. rex to digest raw dinosaur meat

DD1991

I know I've been aware of a few papers published several years indicating that T. rex wasn't just a classic scavenger but also an active hunter when it came to preying on herbivorous dinosaurs, and we all know that humans will get food poisoning if they eat raw meat. However, what enzymes did Tyrannosaurus rex have to help it consume the meat of dead individuals of herbivorous dinosaurs like Edmontosaurus annectens and Triceratops?

Edited by DD1991
Wanted to make end of question clearer

17 hours ago, DD1991 said:

and we all know that humans will get food poisoning if they eat raw meat.

This is not true. I've eaten steak tartare hundreds of times and never got as much as a belly ache. If the raw meat has bacteria like Salmonella or E.coli then yes you can get sick. Pork and chicken can cause problems, unless the organisms that cause diseases are not present. Then there's no problem. I don't think its a matter of enzymes as much as a matter of immunity. If T-rex was already infested with the same organisms then it would have no problems caused by consuming a few more.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Virtually every non-scavenging carnivorous and omnivorous animal other than humans eats flesh raw. The partial answer to your question might be found in more recent animals to discover what enzymes they possess to process raw meat. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You really want to look into the digestive enzymes, look into wolves, bears and vultures. They are all known to eat LONG dead flesh.

Vultures are second to the one and only Tidgy. Who else has the guts to taste something that's been dead for hundreds of millions of years?

image.png.7f18e95ef300153548ec4c26a6c6f5e2.png

@Tidgy's Dad would you agree?

• Enjoyed 2

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

5 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Vultures are second to the one and only Tidgy. Who else has the guts to taste something that's been dead for hundreds of millions of years?

@Tidgy's Dad would you agree?

Yup. 

She claims she's helping with prepping, but I'm not so sure. 

Here she is with some Silurian stuff :

Fossils2.thumb.jpg.6e9b4fda9191c1f8f67e81a8e60d3a42.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

You really want to look into the digestive enzymes, look into wolves, bears and vultures. They are all known to eat LONG dead flesh.

and my dog (see under wolves, above).  I think the issue here is that humans have underrated terrible digestive tracts. 

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 1