Is it a fossil seed ?

Tomasz22

Hello to everybody :)

This is my first post and I'm new here but I would like to kindly ask you about the object I've found in Poland. Is it a Cycad fossil or Bennettital fosil or maybe non of them are ? Diameter - 32mm Height 31 mm.

Best regards

Tomasz

20220530_195325.jpg

20220530_195252.jpg

20220530_191526.jpg

Edited by Tomasz22

Is sponge on the list ? That I can't quite rule out. It doesn't look like a plant fossil to me though.

I've no idea - but when i was looking for an answer on the  internet i did find a similar picture when i typed two words : cycad fossil

I tried that just now too. I see what you mean, but it lacks some of the geometry seen there. Wait for more opinions.

Where in Poland was it found?

What is the size of the item?

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Where in Poland was it found?

What is the size of the item?

South of Poland - 25km west of Cracow - diameter 32mm height- 31 mm 

55 minutes ago, Tomasz22 said:

I've no idea - but when i was looking for an answer on the  internet i did find a similar picture when i typed two words : cycad fossil

From Jurassic Coast Trust
POLPM.C06-lowres.jpg

A classic ‘bird’s nest’

Local quarrymen called these peculiar structures ‘bird’s nests’ – but they are in fact the fossilised remains of a fern-like plant known as a cycad.

I do see the resemblance! The upper left corner of your specimen gives me hope that an expert can verify your thoughts.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

And big cycads come from ?

Texas! Where else? :heartylaugh: Witam ze stanu Illinois. I'm in the cycad camp.

• Enjoyed 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

:popcorn:

• Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

18 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Texas! Where else? :heartylaugh: Witam ze stanu Illinois. I'm in the cycad camp.

:)

23 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:
From Jurassic Coast Trust
POLPM.C06-lowres.jpg

A classic ‘bird’s nest’

Local quarrymen called these peculiar structures ‘bird’s nests’ – but they are in fact the fossilised remains of a fern-like plant known as a cycad.

I do see the resemblance! The upper left corner of your specimen gives me hope that an expert can verify your thoughts.

Mike

This is the same picture i found too - to me it looks like mine is a smaller version.