Salt Lake City trip advice

SallyB

Hi everyone! I'm gonna be spending a few days in Salt Lake City this August and am looking for advice.

I'm debating between heading to the U-dig/New-dig sites in Delta UT for trilobites vs. heading to Kemmerer WY Green River for fish and other fossils. I wish I had time for both and to explore on my own, but time is limited. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, any advice on finding petrified wood around the Salt Lake City area?

Thanks so much!!

Well, personally I'd take a chance with the U-dig trilobite place. I've got some great material from there, but I guess it depends on whether you'd rather have fishes or trilos. 

Good luck, whatever you decide. :Luck: 

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Having done both, I would say you can't go wrong with either. You'll either walk out with more Elrathia trilobites or more Knightia fish than you know what to do with. Much rarer things can be found in both, which is why I would go back again and again. The prices are comparable and they are run by good people that will make sure you get your moneys worth. Do keep in mind that the trilobite quarries are closed on Sundays, as are many businesses in Utah. The Kemmerer quarries are typically open 7 days a week. As @Tidgy's Dad, it boils down to whether you like fish or trilobites more. 

If you're traveling with others that are not so interested in fossils, Kemmerer is a larger town and has more to offer than Delta. Kemmerer has the Fossil Butte National Monument, very highly recommended. There are also lots of little shops in Kemmerer and the original JC Penney house. Delta has a nice museum about the Topaz Internment Camp, again very highly recommended.  

• I found this Informative 1

I would go to U-dig but I am way more interested in trilobites lol. I do want to go fishing some time but I would go trilobite hunting! Another concern is the Delta area can be really hot come August still as you are in middle of Utah desert (oh wait, I'm from Alaska so even winter could be too hot :default_rofl:)

If time and weather become a problem check out the Ancient Life Museum south of salt lake and north of Provo on I-15. I went there years ago it had impressive ice age and dinosaur exhibits.

I have done both also and I think @Crusty_Crab summarized it pretty well. The only thing I would add is that a days worth of hunting fish is likely to yield a much greater volume of material than the trilobites which can make a difference depending on how you are getting back home (flying vs driving). 

As others have said, it probably mostly depends on what type of fossils you prefer.  You will most likely enjoy either though.