Broken spines off of Trilobite

Fossil Maniac

Hello! I have a Drotops armartus fossil and some of the spines are broken off which glue would work best? Thank all of you for any help!

Yes, a good quality superglue (cyanoacrylate) is usually perfect for this type of Moroccan trilobite. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

but you need to use a very small amount.  Are you familiar with the scratch technique of applying very small quantities of superglue?

On 6/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, jpc said:

but you need to use a very small amount.  Are you familiar with the scratch technique of applying very small quantities of superglue?

I'm not familiar with that technique. I'm interested in hearing more about it.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, jpc said:

No I am not.

14 minutes ago, Fossil Maniac said:

No I am not.

@jpc shared this tip with us some while back. To quote him:

"Scratch:  Take a piece of paperboard and drop a drop of glue on the bare side (not the side that tells you what cereal was in the box) and then with a very sharp dental pick or whatever scratch the glue spot lightly and you will pick up a few fibers with glue on them.  If you are really lucky you will get a microdrop on the end of a fiber.  But if I get to much glue I just tap the cardboard again to let it suck off the extra.  Works pretty darn well.  Paperboard, not corrugated cardboard.  

Using this I can reattach things like little cusps onto Cretaceous mammals teeth, assuming I can find the darn thing. "

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

16 hours ago, Kane said:

@jpc shared this tip with us some while back. To quote him:

"

Scratch:  Take a piece of paperboard and drop a drop of glue on the bare side (not the side that tells you what cereal was in the box) and then with a very sharp dental pick or whatever scratch the glue spot lightly and you will pick up a few fibers with glue on them.  If you are really lucky you will get a microdrop on the end of a fiber.  But if I get to much glue I just tap the cardboard again to let it suck off the extra.  Works pretty darn well.  Paperboard, not corrugated cardboard.  

Using this I can reattach things like little cusps onto Cretaceous mammals teeth, assuming I can find the darn thing. "

Thanks for posting that.