Is it a bone fossil?

MsLine

I found this in my black gravel driveway in Dallas. It stuck out because it’s isn’t black. I’m guessing it was brought in from somewhere else, either in my driveway gravel, from the dirt below, or possible from sediment in old concrete. We’ve had a lot of rain lately, so it was probably uncovered from the rain. It is about 2” or 5cm long, about 3/4-1” or 2-2.5cm diameter, kind of wavy-cylindrical. It has a single, prominent hole on each end, kind of like a bead. It is heavy - I first thought it was metal. It has a sandstone-like texture. It looks finely porous, with tiny holes maybe, and some bigger holes. It has a prominent dividing line down the length with one half being a medium-light brownish red, and the other half a darker Black and Tan color. It looks tumbled/eroded. I just thought it was interesting with the hole and the weight, and I’d love to know what it is!

29ABBCFE-FBCA-48B0-8DEF-65F9BCBD18A8.jpeg

56690FF6-3387-4F00-B6FF-880231B6FC7D.jpeg

A1BC289D-E2FA-47C7-B64C-40F5167E8E13.jpeg

227CD353-2094-4EE9-90E3-93BC89535124.jpeg

345D60F1-8B05-4451-B083-9606707009D8.jpeg

No, it does not look like bone. No bone shape, no bone texture.

Rhizolith comes to my mind, but I am not sure.

Rhizolith (link to wikipedia)

The division in two differently colored parts seems to be secondary (after the formation of the whole thing).

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

Rhizolith seems a long shot to me. I have a ball shaped piece that I collected in north central TX which also has a small hole like that. Similar concretions in the area do rarely have body fossils in them.