? insect marks in petrified wood

JBkansas

Seller doesn't mention teredo or termite but it looks like there's tunnels in the wood just left/superior of the center. Am I imagining it?

Limb is 5.4" in diameter, per seller.

Wide, Petrified Wood (Schinoxylon) Limb - Blue Forest, Wyoming #210891

Edited by JBkansas
  • Enjoyed 1

It does loo like there is something there, but I can't make out what. :shrug:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It would be a really odd location for teredo boring to be found in such isolation.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

• JBkansas changed the title to ? insect marks in petrified wood
18 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It would be a really odd location for teredo boring to be found in such isolation.

I think you're right, i've found some other pieces from the site with similar markings, labelled as "insect activity."  This would seem to make more sense since teredo activity doesn't seem to be associated with the site (Eocene lake)

• I Agree 1

I was thinking more of the positioning within the wood though. This looks like an excursion around the interior. Teredos tend to invade en masse  from the perimeter. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

What is the scale for your specimen?

Here is an example of Teredolites in pet wood from Australia, in my collection:

Teredolites_Australia_1.thumb.jpg.40544b792466dbbe37344c3d21eaedb0.jpg.9b2ab4b12182cfa10fb59c655ad6918c.jpgTeredolites_Australia_2.thumb.jpg.908ba0a2d3fefd91072480110597ddec.jpg.a0b73e3300226f7df53b1b4a3a662e25.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

8 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

What is the scale for your specimen?

Here is an example of Teredolites in pet wood from Australia, in my collection:

Limb is 5.4" in diameter, I think insect tunneling fits better than teredo, both with the site and the appearance.

• I Agree 1

16 minutes ago, JBkansas said:

Limb is 5.4" in diameter, I think insect tunneling fits better than teredo, both with the site and the appearance.

I agree! Larvae boring in wood would be a good guess.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im with the larvae boring club on this one.  

RB

me too.  Teredo is a marine species.  While there are arguments about the salinity oft he Eocene lakes of Wyoming there are no Teredo borings reported from them.  

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks all, the seller also had a piece of teredo "peanut" wood on clearance so I got both. :Wink1: