Tooth or something that looks like one?

o0Darren0o

Hi, I wonder if any of you nice people could hazard a guess at what this is, I found it poking out of the mud  at Skipsea in the UK the fossil itself is just over 1 inch long.

Thanks in advance

Darren

IMG_20220605_152226__01.jpg

IMG_20220423_195133.jpg

Looks like the tooth of something to me. 

Skipsea is boulder clay, so fossils are often found in rocks on the beach that are much older than the Pleistocene,? cliffs.  

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like a tooth to me also, but I have no idea what kind.

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

19 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like the tooth of something to me. 

Skipsea is boulder clay, so fossils are often found in rocks on the beach that are much older than the Pleistocene,? cliffs.  

I believe the mud cliff was deposited there by a glacier so there's fossils that cover great range of age.

• I Agree 1

Try to get more images in better light and of different angles.

• I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice find.  It looks like a tooth as others have said i am thinking croc or mossaur.  There are fossil clubs andlocal museums allover the uk.  I would take it in hand to a local expert

I agree, better images would definitely help. I am also thinking croc or mosasaur, but I could definitely be wrong. Whatever it is, it is a really cool find! 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Try to get more images in better light and of different angles.

It seems to have multiple layers with internal linear structure.  Better photos might rule out a coral.

• I Agree 1

Thank you for your responses, I will take better pictures tonight when I get home from work.

I only opened this thread because of so many replys.  I read your statement believing that this would be a another case of pareidolia.  Then I scrolled down.  Tooth for sure.  Im not any kind of tooth expert so I cant help you there.  Someone here should be able to help you with ID.  Goodluck

RB

7 hours ago, RJB said:

I only opened this thread because of so many replys.  I read your statement believing that this would be a another case of pareidolia.  Then I scrolled down.  Tooth for sure.  Im not any kind of tooth expert so I cant help you there.  Someone here should be able to help you with ID.  Goodluck

RB

I didn't know if it was perhaps a horn coral or a tooth, I am still a bit of a noob, if it is a tooth it will be the first one I have found, anyway here are some more pictures, if they have to be better than this I will have to ask my wife to take them with her fancy SLR.

IMG_20220607_201305.jpg

IMG_20220607_201253.jpg

IMG_20220607_201243.jpg

IMG_20220607_201231.jpg

• Thank You 1

Not getting a horn coral feeling from this one--too smooth and enameled looking. We don't see mosasaur teeth here in Florida but I do see lots of gator teeth and I'm betting it is one or the other. I know very little of the formations where this was found but we have members here who know the fossil fauna better and they'll surely catch wind of this topic and chime in with some ideas backed by actual experience. ;)

Nicely naturally prepped out of the surrounding matrix as well.  :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

@o0Darren0o

Thanks for the new photos.  It may be a tooth, but what seems to be cell like pitting is strange for a tooth.

If you could indulge us a few more with good focus in the marked areas and other parts of the rock.  Then, maybe dampen it to see if additional details show up.  Thanks. 

Screenshot_20220607-143926~2.png

Cropped and contrasted:

IMG_20220607_201231.thumb.jpg.15abdb5df4210edae58c7c3206bbaa22.jpg   IMG_20220607_201243.thumb.jpg.278a6589c02bbacbfc69a138f7a3f9a9.jpg

IMG_20220607_201305.thumb.jpg.5c69298caa1a431d4e24712319fa1d42.jpg

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have a few different Mosasaur teeth in my shop and have seen a fair few Ichthyosaur too I am not 100% but don't all these have a curve (insert technical term here!) to them of some kind? Whereas this is almost conical more like some Spinosaurus teeth? But I am not sure if they are found there or if it could have deposited there? They also have those lines in the enamel often too?

Ichthyosaur teeth also have such striations and the curvature is not necessarily very prominent. And just to make things even more complicated, I could also see Pliosaur or Plesiosaur as other possibilities. I'm imagining that the rock originates from a Jurassic deposit, since they aren't too far away north of Skipsea, so one could expect remains from one of these creatures. I would think that there would be a slimmer chance of finding Cretaceous deposits at this location which could produce Mosasaur fossils. But that's just an opinion, since I've never been there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Ichthyosaur teeth also have such striations and the curvature is not necessarily very prominent. And just to make things even more complicated, I could also see Pliosaur or Plesiosaur as other possibilities.

All the Plesiosaur/Pliosaur teeth I have seen are much narrower more similar Pterosaurs teeth than Mosasaurs I thought? I am no expert so please correct me if I am wrong?!

I'm wondering if there is a local university or museum in the area which might have a paleontologist on staff who knows the formations and the fauna where you found this specimen? Our members have brought up a number of interesting possibilities but it might take some deep local knowledge to narrow the field.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, digit said:

I'm wondering if there is a local university or museum in the area which might have a paleontologist on staff who knows the formations and the fauna where you found this specimen? Our members have brought up a number of interesting possibilities but it might take some deep local knowledge to narrow the field.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you,

I will do a little research and try to find someone as you suggest, I will report back when I know more.

Darren 

6 hours ago, mr.cheese said:

All the Plesiosaur/Pliosaur teeth I have seen are much narrower more similar Pterosaurs teeth than Mosasaurs I thought? I am no expert so please correct me if I am wrong?!

I'm also no expert on the subject so maybe we could ask @belemniten for his opinion.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/