What should I prepare?

MrBones

Hello again,

I have recently ordered some bits from ZoicPaleotech for my dremel 290 engraver. I've had quite a lot of practice with the normal bit the dremel comes with ( as I am waiting for the proper bits to arrive). I would love to buy some unprepared fossils from the forum in the future.

I've practiced on some soft shale matrix containing trilobites, and I found it quite easy, and very satisfying because the rock pops off the fossil easily.

Do you guys have any suggestions on fossils to prepare in order to help me grow more accustomed to preparation?

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 9:33 AM, MrBones said:

Hello again,

I have recently ordered some bits from ZoicPaleotech for my dremel 290 engraver. I've had quite a lot of practice with the normal bit the dremel comes with ( as I am waiting for the proper bits to arrive). I would love to buy some unprepared fossils from the forum in the future.

I've practiced on some soft shale matrix containing trilobites, and I found it quite easy, and very satisfying because the rock pops off the fossil easily.

Do you guys have any suggestions on fossils to prepare in order to help me grow more accustomed to preparation?

I've prepped a fair amount of green river specimens with a dremel engraver and it's great for the big stuff i.e. removing relatively large amounts of matrix, however I've learned the hard way that it's really easy to run that engraver just a little too deep. Sadly I still have a couple of my first diplos with about 800 tiny pock marks in them! Now a days I do the broad work with the engraver- getting the matrix as close to the specimen as I dare- and then do the detail work in the safest way possible so as not to harm the specimen. For me, that means by hand but perhaps one day an air abrasive system. 

Magnification is the key to minimizing damage to a specimen. Without it, damage will occur, without question.  I don't put a tool to a specimen without at least 5X magnification.