Bone found in Venice, Florida

RichX915

I don’t believe it’s a dugong fossil as IIRC they don’t have hollow marrow areas. It was found away from the beach but around shells, the peace river formation isn’t stratified either way. The last picture may be a separate all together but was found in this cluster of bone, it looks like turtle shell I have seen. It’s on a napkin for scale but the large portion is about the length of my pinky. The shell object is about the size of a nickel. Because of the shell piece found within the bone cluster I’m imagining it could be a turtle humorous

69B10288-B647-420D-8920-7761FBA7A6AC.jpeg

821BCC6E-5551-48AC-93BD-1A48DB361030.jpeg

5E40A135-0637-4CAE-AA08-77B2A76F6B7C.jpeg

106F51B1-D81B-4106-B0FB-95D6F7E4221A.jpeg

7987A57E-D662-4444-BE79-8253158C1829.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, RichX915 said:

I don’t believe it’s a dugong fossil as IIRC they don’t have hollow marrow areas. It was found away from the beach but around shells, the peace river formation isn’t stratified either way. The last picture may be a separate all together but was found in this cluster of bone, it looks like turtle shell I have seen. It’s on a napkin for scale but the large portion is about the length of my pinky. The shell object is about the size of a nickel. Because of the shell piece found within the bone cluster I’m imagining it could be a turtle humorous

Welcome to the forum.  You need to provide measurements and the best way to do that is to state them in millimeters..

The bone is xx millimeters in length and had a maximum diameter of yy millimeters.

Your 1st bone is a Horse metatarsal 3. ... sometime called a called a Cannon bone.  The last photo is a piece of a turtle shell.

You will find this thread helpful in the identification of your bone.  

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 3
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Welcome to the forum.  You need to provide measurements and the best way to do that is to state them in millimeters..

The bone is xx millimeters in length and had a maximum diameter of yy millimeters.

Your 1st bone is a Horse metatarsal 3. ... sometime called a called a Cannon bone.  The last photo is a piece of a turtle shell.

You will find this thread helpful in the identification of your bone.  

Thank you! Excited to know what is it, my first fossilized bone

13 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I think there's a camel toe bone in the mix.  For comparison:

cameltoesgiant.JPG.f2a2df4c78c70aefbefeed8677174fe3.JPGbisonbox_F.JPG.7b2b1ee71a12d14a202dc256e740cf8c.JPG

Similar looking but I think the socket matches the horse cannon bone more. I would have to see more pictures of the socket of the camel toe though 

28 minutes ago, RichX915 said:

Similar looking but I think the socket matches the horse cannon bone more. I would have to see more pictures of the socket of the camel toe though

Rich,

Having been on TFF for a long time,I have learned that Harry is better than good....and he is seeing something we might not be...

Here is a comparison of Camel/Llama Proximal Phalanx: very similar

https://bioone.org/ContentImages/Journals/novi/2016/3866/3866.1/graphic/WebImages/f19_01.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, RichX915 said:

5E40A135-0637-4CAE-AA08-77B2A76F6B7C.jpeg

106F51B1-D81B-4106-B0FB-95D6F7E4221A.jpeg

This bone fragment doesn't look much like any part of a horse metapodial.  It is the proximal end of a camelid proximal phalanx.camel_composite_foot.JPG.f65d8f7340ad7781f8a75f0ec0d90108.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Rich,

Having been on TFF for a long time,I have learned that Harry is better than good....and he is seeing something we might not be...

Here is a comparison of Camel/Llama Proximal Phalanx: very similar

https://bioone.org/ContentImages/Journals/novi/2016/3866/3866.1/graphic/WebImages/f19_01.jpg

1 minute ago, Harry Pristis said:

This bone fragment doesn't look much like any part of a horse metapodial.  It is the proximal end of a camelid proximal phalanx.camel_composite_foot.JPG.f65d8f7340ad7781f8a75f0ec0d90108.JPG

At that angle I definitely see it. Thank you! Super cool

• Enjoyed 1